• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 creelman11

creelman11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

i have been trying to use the activemap plugin- as it seems to be the answer to all customizing questions i have( when searching for on here)- but when i turn it on- it flashes a blank page -then i receive the 404 error page- with no hook info whatsoever. i am on pagelines base theme- with latest vs of pagelines framework- on a macbook pro with 10.7.4 i have tried the following: deactivating all plugins( excpet activemap) changing browsers-safari 5.1.7 /firefox 13.0.1 /google chrome please let me know what im missing- i cant wait to start using this plugin! if you check the site now- i have all my plugins active..so please dont suggest deactivting plugins...Thanks in advance for help

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16392 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hi, When it gives a 404, what URL is in your browsers address bar. Can you provide that link here please.

#3 creelman11

creelman11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

Thanks for speedy relpy - this is where it goes when activated:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

- my wp is installed at marilynsofwestvancouver.com/shop/ but the permilinks are set up to show marilynsofwestvancouver.com so when i click view site it goes to

and when i click in admin bar 'actionmap' on... it goes to

showing the 404 page do you think its a permalinks thing? Thanks for help, Danny- i realllly appreciate it. i can send a screen shot also..

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

I think it does have to do with Permalinks. Permalinks settings are more for changing how the permalinks are formatted for post pages and regular pages - not necessarily for hiding a part of the permalink (in this case, you're trying to hide /shop by using just marilynsofwestvancouver.com in the setting).

This is why the admin bar "actionmap" uses the marilynsofwestvancouver.com/shop URL. It still thinks that your domain address is marilynsofwestvancouver.com/shop because Permalinks settings on WordPress aren't meant to replace your hosting provider's setting for adjusting the domain URL. If you want to change marilynsofwestvancouver.com/shop to just marilynsofwestvancouver.com, you'll need to do that on your hosting provider's end.

I hope that makes sense!

#5 creelman11

creelman11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

thanks you but i fully understand permalinks and you DEFiNETLY do not need hosting provider to change the url-especially for this setup- permalinks like this sites/situation are more common than not .its actually a very often used option as seen in wordpress admin under Settings>General. make sense? uhm. if i understand you are saying that in order to use this plugin i need to move my /wordpress directory - which is ridiculous. how about going into the plugins code and specifing the base url. thanks

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Firstly, the Action Map plugin is designed to tell you where things actually are located on the page. If the page is in /shop/ it's going to say /shop/ come what may. You won't change that with or without permalinks. If those permalinks are deemed incorrect or broken by Action Map, it will throw a blank page. Catrina's got a point though. You're using permalinks as a mask, and not correctly. If WP is installed in yourdomain.com/shop then it shouldn't be asked to go to yourdomain.com/ . That's a guaranteed way to break your site. It may work, but that will only be temporary. She's also correct that if you want to disguise /shop, you have to either move the site up to the root or ask your host to create a mask, unless you're skilled enough to do this yourself.