Photo
- - - - -

The feed does not have subscriptions by email enabled - error after latest update...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SteinVox

SteinVox

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

After the last PageLines update, my feedburner email sign-up is down. Spent a good number of hours searching solution on google - and the simple ones (turn on the feature..., ensure your feed name is correct..., etc.) are not the problem. Now I'm into some pretty knarley suggestions about changing the theme..., I don't want to go there - that's playin' with fire. Any ideas what might have changed in the last update that would have broke what was working prior? My last sign-up by email was on the 14th of July, so I know it worked prior to the update.

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

well heres the changelog:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

2.2.4 had no feed related fixes. 2.2.3 we fixed the feed titles, as they were duplicated. PageLines Framework has no subscription by email code in it to be broken after any update, have you validated your feeds?

#3 SteinVox

SteinVox

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hi Simon, That's the first thing I did. This one has me stumped. And, as I look at more and more of the "deeper" fixes suggested on the feedburner google support group, they are telling me I need to get out the "theme editor"..., which, I don't want to do - I don't want to make it worse - and Pagelines is just right for me..., I could really screw things up if i did that. I'm stymied. Any pointers at this point are helpful. andrew

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

I dont understand, PageLines does not style the WordPress feeds in any way.

#5 SteinVox

SteinVox

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Which, has really got me worried about trying anything on the google.feedburner forum... Now I'm thinking that in the update, some blip happened that caused a bad file copy or something got overwriten - basically something that I'll never find. Which makes me ask if there's a "fix" or "repair" option for the framework? I would not want to uninstall and re-install, worrying that would potentially cause more problems.

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

No, then you would just get a PHP Fatal Error. Themes do not style RSS feeds, wordpress simply loads the post content, or excerpt depending on what you have selected in the main wordpress settings, and creates an RSS page for it.

#7 SteinVox

SteinVox

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Understood. As I said, I'm at a loss for where to look - so now I'm thinking that maybe I hit a hard-drive glitch or power spike, with all the goofy storms here in the midwest and east coast. I'm hosted here on this side of the continent..., In my IT days, I know this can happen..., and it's not a "reproducible" error..., Still grasping at straws - nothing useful on the google.feedburner forum, meanwhile short of starting over, I'm considering anything that might be the issue.

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Andrew, try downloading WordPress to your local machine... unzip it. Upload the files to your WP installation (like a manual update in the good ol' days) and see if overwriting the WP files helps resolve it. Since it's WP that creates the RSS, if anything's corrupted, it must be WP.

#9 SteinVox

SteinVox

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

Simon,..., tried that, still epic fail. I found a thread on google.feedburner that says to look and make changes to the sidebar.php..., but this is a Pagelines file..., i'm a bit worried about touching that... Is that misguided? there are others that follow the thread saying that the guidance worked... And, if it works, then with the next pagelines update, will I have to do this again? getting a bit frustrated ... ;-]

#10 SteinVox

SteinVox

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

Simon, here's an example of one, of many, threads that seem to say there's an issue in the theme...

What am i missing?

#11 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:42 AM

i think there is a difference in what were talking about:

thats an rss feed, you re getting people to signup with a widget to feedburner, with an email form in your sidebar, which is there, and which opens a form allowing you to sign up, so, whats wrong?

#12 SteinVox

SteinVox

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hi Simon, Got it fixed..., it was convoluted, to be sure. I think we were talking about the same thing, but in the end it was a coincidence that another change happened. all good now, figured out what it was. I appreciate your being on the other end - that always helps in the debug investigation. The issue was a typo in CSS for the feedburner plug-in I'm using, that was overwritten - long story. Hard to find, but fixed now.

#13 SteinVox

SteinVox

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

BTW, I see that when I log into the forum, there is a note that says "I have qustions answered"..., and to be sure to mark them as closed or answered.... Where is the button to do that, or how is it done?

#14 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Glad you figured it out