Twitter + Via @USERNAME

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hireconrad

hireconrad

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hi, i have a question and I've search google up and down and can't find an answer. I want to put twitter/facebook/google+ share buttons in a side widget on all my pages. Im currently using a plugin called STRX Simple Sharing Sidebar, and it works well except when i click the twitter button, the default tweet that is formulated for a page is not what i want. *** I want all pages to have a twitter message followed by "via @violinlessonsTO". I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere on how to do this. Some plugins give you an option to do this, but they dont have side widgets and have to be applied on the same spot of each page/post. Currently i am using Digg Digg for my blog posts, and it does include the "via @ViolinLessonsTO", but i can't figure out how to get this into a side widget on pages rather then posts.

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

I don't know of any off the topic of my head that can be inserted into widgets. Have you tried searching for other sharing plugins here?:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 hireconrad

hireconrad

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

yes Catrina i have.

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

If you can't easily find one in the WordPress Plugin Directory, it also helps to search for one in Google (try using really specific search terms). A custom tweet message isn't unheard of, so there must be something out there. If it's not possible with a plugin, it may need to be implemented with code.

#5 hireconrad

hireconrad

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

I have search google up and down, and can't find anything. Everything that i find is particular to posts not pages.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I did this search last night and the problem is that the social icons, when in the sidebar don't apply to the page. They have to be in the post loop in order to apply to the post specifically. That's the info I was getting from Twitter and FB. In a sidebar, they link to the site, generically. While I've seen some work the way you'd like, it appears to be really intense customizations by developers that goes well above my skillset.

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Can you use one of the sharebar options within the post itself rather than in the sidebar?

#8 hireconrad

hireconrad

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

The twitter and Facebook share buttons work fine for POSTS??¦ my issue is getting a custom twitter message when sharing a PAGES. Im not entirely stuck on the idea of having it in the sidebar, i just dont want the buttons on the body of the page. Any ideas on getting share buttons on the header (and be able to customize my own twitter message with "via @ViolinLessonsTO" at the end?

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

I think the messages that appear in Twitter and how they're formatted is something Twitter structures, not us. You'd really have to ask them. Some of the best folks I know on SEO issues like this, related to PL are TunaTraffic.com. You might want to ask one of them for some help with this. I'm just not sure how this can be customized.

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

Without the 'via' bit, based on the Twitter account info, my Twitter bar shows - twitteraccountname after links for tweets.

#11 hireconrad

hireconrad

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

how did you get that to appear Rangelone?

#12 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

He added his twitter account info in Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options in Website Setup and then the rest is taken care of by Twitter.

#13 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

To get it to appear, I used the Twitterbar, available as a section in Dashboard > PageLines > Drag & Drop.