Photo
- - - - -

General Feedback

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 serving_spirit

serving_spirit

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

Dear Pagelines, I am not a web pro - at all. I bought your theme etc. because it was billed as "drag and drop" which to me sounded much simpler. As someone who is generally new to "web development" I have not found your product simple or easy to use. :( My latest hassle included trying to set up a buddypress forum. After you told me that I need a child theme to set this up (No idea what that is,) so I paid someone on Fiverr to do this. They told me that they will have to install these child themes on every page(?) of the website and that all my templates will need to be manually updated. Is this true!? Additionally, I am terrified to update because of all the problems people are reporting. Please make a product that will not require me to touch CSS style sheets or anything with code-like appearance. I run a business through my website and I have wasted so many hours trying to get it to look and function properly that my website has become a major production bottleneck. But I can't even leave, because I don't have the time to re-learn or repair my site after transitioning to another theme. Your product may work great for pro's but it has made me a sad and frustrated customer. I know you guys are new and every time I sign on you have new products and more instructional videos - and I appreciate that - but in the meantime my ignorance is drowning in the sea of your increasingly difficult product and my business is out of time. :( Just bummed out and ranting... ~Katie

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16576 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi Katie,

We apologise that your experience hasn't been as easy as you thought it would be and sorry to hear you're bummed out.

However, the first thing you need to do is get your money back from the person you hired from Fiverr. As a child theme doesn't need to be installed on all your pages, a child theme needs to be installed, activated only once.

What is a child theme?
A WordPress child theme is a theme that inherits the functionality of another theme, called the parent theme (in this case PageLines Framework), and allows you to modify, or add to, the functionality of that parent theme, without touching the Parent theme/framework.

Read here for more information on what a child theme is

Would it be possible to reply here and post a list of all the issues you're having and we will walk through each of them to get you started.

#3 serving_spirit

serving_spirit

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

I have paid him for, and he has completed, half the job. Because BuddyPress is now installed on my site, though the pages are not live. I guess I need to know how to install the child theme on a Forum page? and then how to get the Pagelines plugin working so that Buddypress matches and looks user friendly.
I have read the description of Child Pages, and I have a rudimentary understanding of why this is needed, but I have no idea how to make it happen. Please keep in mind I am a Wordpress Kindergartener. (Sorry! I am trying to get better, one YouTube video at a time!)

~Katie

#4 serving_spirit

serving_spirit

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

(P.S. Thank you very, very much for your help. Gratitude!)

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Katie, with BuddyPress, you do need to use Base theme. It's very, very easy. Just go to Dashboard > PageLines > Store > Themes and install and activate Base Theme. There's nothng else to it and you don't need to code anything.

#6 serving_spirit

serving_spirit

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

:o Will this alter the appearance of my site??

#7 serving_spirit

serving_spirit

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Also, will this "activate" on every page?? A portion of my site is already built, so will subsequent changes be "on top" of this child theme? I hope these aren't silly questions! If that is all you have to do, that's magical.

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

No, it won't, unless you make certain changes to it (for example, adding code to a certain file to add something to the site). It's a child theme so it works like a theme in that it'll affect every page/the entire site. The portion of the site you built (any pages added and so on) won't be taken away or lost. :) For further information on the base theme: http://www.pagelines..._the_Base_Theme

#9 serving_spirit

serving_spirit

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

Okay guys, I'll drink your Kool-Aid. I'm gonna try to install the base theme myself. *white knuckles*... Stay tuned...

#10 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

Let us know if you need further assistance.

#11 serving_spirit

serving_spirit

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:21 AM

Hi there, I installed the child theme (Base Theme), and I did lose all my customizations when I did that. (despite an assurance that I wouldn't, though I figured it was a possibility.) Everything went back to default. I still had page content, but that was about it. It was many hours to reconfigure everything and so that was incredibly frustrating. Though I am under the impression that because of the child theme this will not happen again in the future??? Can anyone tell me if it is safe to update my Pagelines Platform? Cuz if I have to reconfigure everything again... :S

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16576 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hi Katie, It should be safe to upgrade and we highly recommend all users, upgrade to the latest version of Wordpress, PageLines Framework and plugins for security reasons. However, like any update it is wise to have a backup, therefore, I recommend you backup your website as a precaution. If you wish to make your backing up life easier, you could try ManageWP, I use it myself and it is awesome sauce. http://managewp.com/