Photo
- - - - -

Can I have Blogs and Podcasts separate in my site?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ttownsend

ttownsend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hello all, I've done a lot of reading on this, but I haven't come up with any answers. I am using a static Front Page, I have assigned my Posts Page to Articles (my word for Blog) to put that in my main menu, and I would like to have another Main Menu link for Podcasts. The way I want to use podcasts is very different than Articles (Blog) - I wish the Podcasts to have an array of categories completely separate from Articles, completely separate content, and a unique page design. But all only for Podcasts, not Articles, and all from the Main Menu. Is there a (moderately) painless way of doing this? Many thanks, Trevor

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

One workaround I can think of is to create a category for Podcasts called "Podcasts" (and add this category as a custom link in a Custom Menu) and rename "tags" in the Permalinks settings as "subcategories" (you can't name this categories because categories already exist) so that you can use the tags as if they are categories for your Podcasts. You'll just need to assign whatever tags you want to the podcast posts so that they can be treated like they're being put in subcategories when really, they're being sorted using tags. Does that make sense?

#3 ttownsend

ttownsend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hi Catrina - yes, I think it makes sense, so long as I did. Does what I'm trying to do make sense? It sounds like two, parallel structures of Posts, one for Articles (Blogs) and one for Podcasts.

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yes, the posts could still have categories. It's just that Podcasts would need to have a category of their own to be placed in (so that they can be shown as separated from the posts) and then subcategorized using tags.

#5 ttownsend

ttownsend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

I think I follow your idea. I guess the realization is that one can't have two "parallel" structures of Posts, but one can sub-divide the single available structure for Articles and Podcasts?

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

If you build your categories in two trunks... as Catrina suggests: Articles and Podcasts, each can have their own set of subcategories. A plugin can be used to display only posts from one trunk in the Articles (blog) page and you can create a new static page for Podcasts. For that, you can use a plugin such as Special Recent Posts to display only the posts (podcasts) from the Podcast category. Search http://www.wordpress.../extend/plugins for "categories" and look for one that limits the categories that display on the blog page. In your menu, you can use Custom Links to create as many links as you please.

#7 ttownsend

ttownsend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:44 AM

Thanks everyone for all of the ideas - I'm going to tackle Catrina and rangelone's ideas. Once I get this under control I'll post back here with how I've made out. Many thanks indeed!

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

OK great! Look forward to your reply.

#9 ttownsend

ttownsend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Just a quick update - I'm going to wait on this; I'm taking a detour in my business that will delay producing podcasts for a bit, so I'll tackle this when that comes back online.

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

No worries. We'll still be here.