#1 pedageo

pedageo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

Hello:

I have a couple of questions.

Question#1:

How can I redirect the default home page to show as a navigation option now that I have setup a static page to serve as my homepage? I still want my members and visitors to be able to access my blog from the main navigation and not just the footer now that I have made a static homepage.

Question #2:

How do I edit the three columns on my new static homepage to replace the default PageLines content that is located in the three columns underneath the features area? I am using the Feature Page - Standard template. When I edit the page. I do not see how to remove the default content and replace with my own.

Help on these two questions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Shinshuri

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15791 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hi Shinshuri, 1. I think you may need to create a custom menu. I have provided you with a link to the Wordpress Codex article which has information on how to create a custom menu http://codex.wordpre...Menu_User_Guide 2. Your website has maintenance mode enabled therefore I am unable to see your issue. Can you either disable this plugin or take a screenshot of your page please.

#3 pedageo

pedageo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

@ Danny I have deactivated the maintenance mode to allow you to see what I am referring to. If you notice the home page is now the index page that shows when you visit my site. I made it static. 1. By default, the WhiteHousePro Theme forces the pages I publish to automatically show in the top menu bar so the custom menu options in WordPress do not work. 2. My blog has disappeared. I cannot locate the actual page for it to show on my site in the top navigation menu since I enabled the static home page in WordPress. I can only reach it from the blog listing in the footer. I would like to have members and visitors access it from my top nav. Check it out and let me know what I can do to resolve these issues. Thanks, Shinshuri

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

1. By default, the WhiteHousePro Theme forces the pages I publish to automatically show in the top menu bar so the custom menu options in WordPress do not work.

This is strange. I don't think this should be happening. Did you double check to make sure that the custom menu you created is being set as the main navigation?

2. My blog has disappeared. I cannot locate the actual page for it to show on my site in the top navigation menu since I enabled the static home page in WordPress.

To create a blog page, you need to create a new blank page called "Blog" and set it as the posts page in your Reading settings. When you visit http://yoursite.com/blog, you should see your posts on that page.

#5 pedageo

pedageo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

@ Catrina: Thank you for your input. It is helping me. However, I am currently using the main navigation for the WordPress Theme. I am not using custom menus. The last time I tried to use custom menus it was overridden by the WhiteHousePro main menu. I can try it again to see if I get the same issue. Shinshuri

#6 pedageo

pedageo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

@ Danny and Catrina: Will either of you be able to answer my second question above? Thanks so much for your help on question one. I have it fixed on my site. But, I still need help with question 2.

#7 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

The Custom Menu (a feature of WordPress) should be able to work regardless of the theme. When you enable a different theme and test the custom menu, does it work?

#8 pedageo

pedageo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

@ Catrina:

I have already solved the issue you are referring to. I am talking about Question #2 in my original posting. I still need to resolve the issue with the Feature Page - Standard template.

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15791 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Hi, Can you open your website again please, I visited your site again and the maintenance plugin is active again.

#10 pedageo

pedageo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hi Danny: I deactivated the maintenance plugin. You should be able to see the first page on my site www.pedageomedia.com. It is a static page and there are three columns with default Pagelines content underneath the features section. I would like to add my own content and images to those three columns, but I do not see how to do that in the theme customization panel. Also, the default images disappeared and I don't know why. Will that cause problems when I add my own content? Thanks, Shinshuri

#11 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

Ahhh, those are the feature boxes. You need to edit the boxes in the Features settings. What disappeared default images are you referring to?

#12 pedageo

pedageo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Ok. Thank you Catrina! I understand now! There are two types of features: The slider and the boxes. It was hard to distinguish in the admin layout. As I thought both of the buttons were for the same features. Don't know why I thought that because the buttons clearly say: New Feature Slide and New Feature Box. That's what happens when you make assumptions. Thanks for all your help. I am modifying the content now.

#13 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Let us know how it goes.