Trying to add a background image to a full width sidebar

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fbcclinton

fbcclinton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

I'm difficulty adding a background image to a full width sidebar. I've explored posts here and tried adding in custom css but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:14 AM

You might not be targeting the sidebar with the right CSS selector (or maybe the CSS attributes weren't correct). Did the CSS you already try look something like this?:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 fbcclinton

fbcclinton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:03 AM

I've made a little progress since I posted, Yes, I've tried that CSS and was able to get the image to show up only behind the widget text. I'm using firebug and the region that I would like the image to show up in is a larger area around the widget in the sidebar. When I select it with firebug, the code that shows up is for
, which is used all over the page so I can't apply the image there without it showing up everywhere. I don't know if this makes sense, but what I'm trying to accomplish is a graphical horizontal stripe across the full width of my page, and I'd like to use a widget within that stripe. I thought about using morefoot, but it is too low on the page.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17124 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hi, Can you provide me with a link to the image please and a concept image of how you would like it to look.

#5 fbcclinton

fbcclinton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

here is an example of what I'm trying to accomplish. The actual image is semi-transparent so the background shows through.

I'm trying to put it in my home page

#6 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

and

#7 fbcclinton

fbcclinton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the help, being new to firebug I wasn't sure how to get the css path for that one specific region because when I clicked on it it showed a whole list in the style column. I discovered the "copy CSS path" by right clicking and was able to make the changes that way. Now I've got another issue for another thread.