Put text in fixed navbar

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 suerama

suerama

• Members

• 247 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

My client wants me to take out the site name from the fixed navbar in Pagelines 2.2 and to put his phone number and linked email address in that position instead. I would like to be able to both spec the font and position the line so it matches the general look of the menu items.

I was able to come close in firebug. I changed the text anyway, specified the font so it was close. But couldn't figure out how to translate that into usable code. Here (laugh if you like) is what I tried, to no avail:

.navbar.plbrand-text> roger@rjakes.com (650) 595-2096</:
	color: white
	font-family: Arial;
	font-weight: bold;
	font-size: .95em;
	line-height: 1.5;
	}
Can someone tell me how to code this so it looks like this and how to make the email link as well? Thanks for all your help, guys.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Shouldn't you be using a hook set in functions.php?

#3 suerama

suerama

• Members

• 247 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

Perhaps, but that is foreign territory for me. I'll look into it. Any tips you can offer would be hugely welcome. Sue

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15047 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

Hi, Best thing to do here would be to duplicate the NavBar section and add the duplicate to either your child themes section folder or if you're using the PageLines Customisation plug-in add it to wp-content/plugins/pagelines-sections/ Once you have added the duplicate NavBar section, edit the code in section.php removing the sitename/logo etc.. with your email address code.

#5 suerama

suerama

• Members

• 247 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Okay, will give this a try. If I can find and change it, I may then have to work on font styling as well.

#6 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Let us know if you still need help!

#7 suerama

suerama

• Members

• 247 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

Here is what I've come up with as a solution: I uploaded an image of the text I wanted, the email address and and phone number as the navbar logo. It looks great, in all browsers big and small, but now I'd like to link it to an email address. Is there a way for me to do it by changing the href for that using custom code from the dashboard? Or would I have to go to the server files for that? I've only edited css up to this point. I'm not sure if I can or should use any image-mapping plugin for an image that is not in the content area or in a widget. I'm noticing that this navbar logo is already linked to the site for some reason. That is true for the branding logo as well. A hand appears when I hover over them and when I click they both seemed linked to the site URL. I'm wondering if it's caused by the way I find my html code for images. The way I find code for an image is that I upload it to post, then copy the HTML for that image. But now I see that each of these images is attached to that "test post" I use to find html code. Could that have something to do with it?

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15047 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hi, Did you not try my suggestion above ?

#9 suerama

suerama

• Members

• 247 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

No, Danny, I did not. I figured I'd get hung up on trying to style the font since it needs a condensed font that is not part of the site choices so far. I've not studied any code, and there are so many things I don't know yet that I try to punt, finding solutions that are probably neither best use nor ideal. I would like to try that when I have more time, like over the weekend. I'm doing this site for a friend who is a pro coder, so I really don't what him to have mickey mouse code. I've already used negative margins, which you've told me is not ideal. But meanwhile, if you know, could you kindly tell me why my branding logo has a link to the homepage and how I might break it? And, how I could change the link that currently exists from the nav "logo" to the homepage, to another href (I'm hoping I can use mailto: as an href.)?

#10 suerama

suerama

• Members

• 247 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

Danny, you suggest that I "duplicate the NavBar section ", so I figured I should duplicate some original "navbar.php" file that I would find somewhere, like on the ftp site, or in the PL2.2.1 file folder on my computer. Is that right? But I've looked around and I don't know where that would be. So my question is: What Navbar section, where?

#11 suerama

suerama

• Members

• 247 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Oh. . . I'll try grabbing the code from Firebug!

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Okay. Let us know how it goes.

#13 suerama

suerama

• Members

• 247 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

I gave up on the fixed navbar because it disappears in older versions of IE. My client was averse to this.

#14 jeevatkm

jeevatkm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hello Danny/PageLines Team -
Actually I'm trying to achieve customization of "Adding Social Share icons next to Fixed navbar site logo"

Following approaches I have tried as of now:
1. Tried the hook navbar_brand - it simply replaces a given HTML with logo location inside tag
2. As mentioned in the thread, duplicating navbar section to pagelines-sections (I'm using PageLines Customize pulgin) - it broke my blog UI

Can you please guide me to achieve this customization?
Site URL: www.myjeeva.com

Thanks,
Jeeva

#15 jeevatkm

jeevatkm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

I have created sample image of fixed navbar; I would like to achieve this -

Posted Image

Looking for guidance and help!

Thanks,