Basic best practice - site set up and on going management

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alanf

alanf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hello I would like to see more training videos and supporting PDF's geared to setting up a website and Blog from scratch with emphasis on best practice... Something like.... 1. set up test domain on host 2. then the recommended steps and the order to take for recommended plug ins and configuration aspects of both WPress and PageLines with an eye on smooth future PageLines upgrades. The recommended order in which to do things? How to deal with the settings in WP first, general, writing, reading etc Menus? The installation of essential WP plug-ins before working with the PLF, (Akismet, SEO etc?) 3. Transferring test site to launch on main domain. 4. back up of whole site - best practice - recommended plugins, back up buddy or other - moving site to new domain etc. What is best practice for back up and is there a preferred WP plug-in? What happens to my site when an update is released? Content, site layout, plug-ins both WP & PLF, etc 5. upgrade to new PLF release best practice so as not to up set current installation - test site first then transfer to live etc see 2/3 above

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Thank you Alan for your kind attention to detail and suggestions. I have passed this along to our documentation team and our management with my recommendation that they are strongly considered.

#3 alanf

alanf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

hello rangelone Also look at my comments in this thread for your documentation team http://www.pagelines...tore-it#Item_14 cheers

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Indeed, I did. Once more, many thanks.

#5 alanf

alanf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

When can we expect to see some documentation on this subject?

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

I just contacted a PL staff member responsible for documentation and forwarded this topic to him. :) Waiting for a reply on the progress.

#7 alanf

alanf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

OK By way of update... I have been using Instant WordPress installed on a USB stick as my offline development environment without any problems to date. This enables me to take the actual development site to my clients which is a great advantage.

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Interesting, I've never heard of this approach before. I still need to hear back about the documentation.