• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 apattee

apattee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

Hi, I have an issue where all the features on any page load below one another. Most of the time, it resolves itself and begins to look normal. Sometimes it hangs and I need to hit refresh which normally fixes it. I've linked to a screenshot to show what is happening. Keep in mind that on a larger screen, all the features are listed vertically. Any idea what's happening, and how it can be fixed?" dev.leportschools.com/wp-includes/downloads/Screen%20shot%202012-07-03%20at%206.37.03%20PM.png

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:25 AM

Likely your server is running out of memory resources, slowing the page load. As it happens, your browser gets hung up on the load time, caching the stacked images. That's why refreshing the browser fixes it. Find out how much RAM is available, particularly for PHP. If that's less than 128Mb, ask your host to increase it. If they refuse, I'd suggest going to WP Engine or Page.Ly (two WordPress dedicated hosts). Alternatively, try using MaxCDN or other CDN services that offset some of the processing to a different server, lightening the load of your server and allowing the site to speed up.

#3 apattee

apattee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

I've taken all the optional steps provided by my host (webfaction) and the problem still persists. This is only happening to me??

#4 apattee

apattee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

I should note that I used to use Platform Pro and this wasn't happening then.

#5 Henry Perkins

Henry Perkins

Friendly Contributor

• Members

• 198 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

@apattee

I've experienced your issue in Safari and FireFox. The only thing I can recommend is that you look at your image sizes and see if you can optimize them. Since you have several slides, this can happen when everything on your page finishes loading before those 13 images.

You can also try editing your .htaccess file to help with loading times. I add this on my WordPress sites to compress and cache images.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#6 apattee

apattee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thanks I'll try that. I guess I don't understand why this didn't happen with Platform Pro. There has to be a way for the images to load after the rest of the page. It looks weird especially since it happens every time. Even happens if you hit the back button.

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17931 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Hi, Disable all non-pagelines plug-ins and see if this resolves the issue.

#8 apattee

apattee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that didn't help either. I've optimized all the images, so none of them are big file sizes. Is there anything that can be done with CSS?

#9 apattee

apattee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

I guess others are having this issue, hopefully this can be resolved quickly.

#10 seo_pro

seo_pro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

I'm having the same issue. Didn't happen on 2.16 only after 2.21 update. I had host check servers and not running out of resources and not running on low end cheap overloaded servers. Disabled all plugins, added cdn, and no difference. Hopefully they can get it resolved quickly.

#11 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17931 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Hi, As there are two reporting this and you have disabled all active plug-ins, I will inform one of our developers to have a look at this issue. They may be able to shed some light on the matter.

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17931 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

@seo_pro @apattee I have spoken to one of our developers and the reason for this is the follow: Basically, the images in the feature slider load one after another, that's the markup. then, the javascript kicks in, hides the rest, and starts the cycle. So users with a slow, or intermittent internet connection,*may* see this. but it's not the site, its the connection to the site, and the lag waiting for js to load. To resolve this, our developers advise was to purchase a cdn and it'll kick in the js faster and therefore resolve your issue. Out of curiosity, would it be possible to tell who you hosting provider is please.

#13 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

As mentioned in this thread ->

To fix the vertical stacking features, try adding this to your custom code -> custom CSS:

Code in action:

• lazlo likes this

#14 apattee

apattee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

simple_mama: Thank you! That has fixed the issue. I want to say though that my internet connection was not the problem! I also took every suggestion from pagelines and my host and the issue wasn't resolved. This wasn't a problem with Platform Pro and it looks like it wasn't an issue with past versions of Frameworks. At least the code fixed it...

#15 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Glad I could help :)