• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wockatz

wockatz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi, The fixed navigation bar is not showing showing the links on it at all in internet explorer 8. Also, there are numerous rendering issues when viewing my intranet site in internet explorer. I've checked the "Include Google IE Compatibility Script?" and installed the "Browser Specific CSS" plugin. Why is it this way and how might it be fixed?

#2 awww

awww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

I have the exact same issue. While IE8 is decreasing in usage, it is at the moment at about 12% of visits, which is enough to warrant resolving the issue.

#3 wockatz

wockatz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

I thought PageLines would've thought of these things if they included the "Include Google IE Compatibility Script?" and "Browser Specific CSS" options...

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Please read this post which has been up for some time... before 2.2.x If we were to go backwards to meet the coding standards of IE8 for less than 4% of all Internet users, you'd lose all the other positive things Framework provides. Personally, I just don't think that's really sensible. Try upgrading to IE9, since IE8 isn't even supported by Microsoft anymore.

#5 awww

awww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Sorry, what post? Should there be a link to one? The comment is inane, in any case. We can't control the browsers our users have and use. My audience includes people who browse in schools and libraries, which are terribly restricted on hardware and software, not just by cost but by manpower. Many of them still use XP (a too-large number that makes me sigh, but one I have to deal with) and therefore can go no higher than IE8. In addition, I have an older population that I care very much about which is lucky to be on the Internet at all and is nursing along ten-year-old machines hoping that their connection to the world doesn't fail them. I'd like to accommodate them, if I can. All told, as I said above, that's 12% of my user base right now. I'd be a fool to ignore them.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

Apologies:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#7 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Ahh yes, the bastard child of the browsers, Internet Explorer. Some more advanced sections/features dont currently fully support ie8, This is because they use CSS3/html5. so if ie8 support is important then dont use advanced functionality. We've decided to provide partial support for IE8, and full support for IE9 and up. First and foremost, we're a forward thinking company, and we're committed to making sure your sites are pimpalicous on forward thinking browsers such as Chrome, Safari, FF, and even the IE9 and 10. Secondly, the market share of IE8 is at 8%, and continues to drop dramatically month after month. Instead of focusing energy on a dying browser version, we instead focus our energy on compatibility with up to date browsers. Also, just today Chrome surpassed IE to become the worlds most used browser. To back some of the above, here's the global market share breakdown of IE;

Also, here's all the global market share of the browsers breakdown

Nick

#8 wockatz

wockatz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

Ok, then I know. Just wanted to know why it wasn't working. Most big and old companies are stuck with old internet explorer, windows xp and old microsoft office. But I guess these companies are not representative for the quoted 8% market share.

#9 radroz

radroz

• Members

• 208 posts
  • LocationClarksville, TN

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

Guys, we really need to have some kind of resolution. I have a client that REQUIRES IE8 compatibility as part of the project's scope, and this navbar was a perfect solution ??”? until we discovered that its links were not visible in IE8. I'm not asking a lot ??”? just let them be visible. We need a resolution, not the "don't use IE8" platitudes. In our case, we have a lot of military people that need to be able to access the site from older Defense Department computers which are limited to IE8, and won't switch to IE9 for at least 2 years. So please, help us find a solution.

#10 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

In 2.2.4 the menu was updated to show on IE8. Nick P.S - I find it ironic that the Department of Defense is using a vulnerable browser in house. lol

#11 awww

awww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

The menu now shows up in IE8 but dropdowns don't work and some of the default color schemes do not display fonts properly, as they use a text-shadow option IE8 does not support.

#12 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

FWIW the IE compatibility script mentioned earlier odes not fox anything it only ( badly ) adds basic CSS3 and HTML5 support to old browsers with a javascript kludge, its by no means a solution. If you install the browser css plugin you can target the bad browsers with .ie8 kind of selectors and maybe add some workarounds.