Favicon shows on most but not all pages

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 berylo

berylo

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

My site favicon shows up for all pages except a few in the Membershp Info dropdown menu - any ideas why? The favicon is loaded in Settings and I have reloaded it but it makes no difference. This is just so annoying! Why would it be missing only for a small number of pages?

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hi Beryl, Is this issue now resolved? As I visited your website and all links under the Membership Info drop down menu appear to display the Favicon.ico image. Which browser are you using ?

#3 berylo

berylo

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thanks Danny - interesting - it is fine in Firefox (probably always was) but unresolved in Internet Explorer. How to fix so it shows up properly in IE? Sigh...

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

What version of IE ? Try creating a favicon.ico and upload that, instead of favicon.png

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#5 berylo

berylo

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

It was a favicon.ico but I went to suggested site and created a new one which is nicer than one I had so thank you Danny. So I loaded new favicon but it still does not show up in Internet Explorer version 9. I've flushed dns, etc. Still no favicon on most pages now. These little things can sure drive a person crazy! :-) This problem started when we changed over servers but I cannot see how that would affect it if the favicon has been set up in Pagelines. In the great scheme of things I suppose it doesn't really matter but it is annoying as a lot of people use Internet Explorer.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

Hi Beryl, OK can you try this please. Load up your favourite FTP client and navigate to /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/images/ Then replace the two favicon.ico and favicon.png with your own, make sure you have both of them set to the same name ana are .png and an .ico Clear your cache and see if this resolves your error.

#7 berylo

berylo

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Thanks - I have tried but there aren't any existing files called favicon.ico or favicon.png. I can find fav.png and fav-vs.png but I don't think those are the ones to replace. So I've inserted my favicon in both png and ico formats but I couldn't find anything to delete...

#8 berylo

berylo

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

Actually re last comment I think I was in the wrong folder - but when I found the correct Pagelines admin image folder I still couldn't find two favicons (only one png) and when I inserted mine my header image disappeared (freakout - don't ask me why) so I restored back-up, poured myself a drink and may just leave favicons alone for a while. :-) It's a mystery to me - Firefox is fine but IE9 isn't. No problems with my other site - the favicon shows up fine in both Firefox and IE9 on that one. Mystery!

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

Beryl, Just as a simple precaution... FTP the favicon to your root HTML directory. That will ensure that ANY page, script or other in your site will default to that even if outside WordPress.

#10 berylo

berylo

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hi I copied to root directory but it didn't make any difference. Hope to work this out eventually but it's a bit of a mystery at the moment. I'll let you know when/if I figure it out! Cheers

#11 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

Alright, please do let us know! :)

#12 berylo

berylo

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

OK - over time, the favicons have showed up on more and more pages - the "problem" appears to have gone away. But unfortunately I can't say why. Happy now though! :-)

#13 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

If you have a cache plugin, it will take time as the cache cycles through. Try clearing the cache, and your browser cache. Couldn't hurt!