Multiple blog post templates (layouts)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nwhitcomb

nwhitcomb

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

I am trying to create a blog that has two different types of Posts. I know there are ways to create many different templates for Pages, but I can't find a way to create an additional layout for blog posts. Ideally, I'd like a default and be able to select which template(layout) to apply in the Add New Post editor. Is this possible with PageLines? Thank you for any help.

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

Which theme are you using?

#3 nwhitcomb

nwhitcomb

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thus far I've installed the PageLines framework and paid for the Pro edition but I don't believe I've actually assigned a specific theme anywhere. Do you recommend one that will accommodate multiple post layouts?

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

If you install PageLines Pro (the theme), the post editor itself offers multiple layout modes and the ability to disable certain sections in the PageLines Meta Settings and PageLines Section Control.

#5 nwhitcomb

nwhitcomb

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Thank you. I think I'm starting to see how its possible... I can select the layout in the meta settings and style them differently by targeting
vs.
in the Custom PageLines Plugin CSS, correct?

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Yes, that is possible.

#7 nwhitcomb

nwhitcomb

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for your help on this, this is working nicely for the single posts. What I've run into now is an issue on the homepage main blog feed of posts. I'm only able to select one layout for the entire feed and all posts format to that layout. But I want it to display each post in the layout I specify in the add new posts admin. Is there a hook I can add that will wrap the one-sidebar-left post content in an additional div on the homepage? If I manually add a div wrapper in the HTML view of individual posts I'm able to style them. I just don't want to have to manually put code in each post when I'm already selecting a layout in the posts meta settings. Any help is much appreciated.

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Can you show us a mockup image of what you want to do? I'm a bit unclear. What should it look like?

#9 nwhitcomb

nwhitcomb

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

Just a question for clarification... Can you scale the city image to a particular size, align it right (in the image settings), scale the audio bit, align it left with CSS, and let the layout appear as you desire without special divs?

#11 nwhitcomb

nwhitcomb

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

I could, but that would involve going into every post and changing more settings. Adding a div would be easier at that point. I'm redesigning a blog that has hundreds of posts. If one function could wrap it then I wouldn't have to go into each post manually. I figured since I'm already assigning the layout in the meta settings there must be a way to access that info in the blog feed. It appears as though that info is getting wiped out somewhere though. Does that make sense?

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:54 AM

Actually, yes it does. My only problem is I don't have the skillset to write the code. I suspect you're going to need the assistance of one of our Pros for this. Catrina's correct. it is possible. It's only the execution that we're not prepared to guide because we moderators aren't developers. I hope you understand where I'm coming from on this. I'd love to help. I had to use the method I described above for my own site. If there's a better way, I'd love to implement it too.

#13 nwhitcomb

nwhitcomb

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

No worries. I only know enough php to be dangerous. How do I get in contact with a Pro to ask them?

#14 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13106 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

If I understand you correctly, you wish to have different layouts for Blog Posts, which you can choose by selecting an option, is this correct ? If so, this would require custom code, far beyond what we provide here on the support forums, if you wish to have such functionality, I recommend you contact one of the PageLines Pros and see if they can assist you.

However, the easiest way I can think of, although not the shortest in terms of time frame would be to use the PageLines grid system, wich you can see here.

In the menu, select Grid System.

#15 nwhitcomb

nwhitcomb

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

I've actually figured out how to get multiple layouts for blog posts, but only for single posts views. When viewed in the homepage blog layout mode it only formats them according to that one layout. I can work around it by manually placing divs around the content in the html view of a post but I thought it may be easier to do that with a php hook since it should theoretically have that info stored somewhere (if its full width vs sidebar left, etc). Perhaps not though.

#16 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13106 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

If you want to create a different layout for your Homepage, I think the best way would be to use the Special Recent Posts plugin, which provides shortcode from the settings you choose and then use the PageLines grid to make responsive columns.