Getting started best practice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alanf

alanf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hello I'm new to PLF and no nothing about code which is why I purchased the product. My question relates to best practice and the order in which you begin to start to do things from the outset. I have installed WP and PLF. I have set up a very basic 1 page site but before going any further would like to answers to the following.. Is there an recommended order in which to do things? Should the settings in WP be dealt with first, general, writing, reading etc Menus? Should I install WP plug-ins before working with the PLF, Akismet, Yoast SEO etc? Should I be creating a separate template for my site? What happens to my site when an update is released? Content, site layout, plug-ins both WP & PLF, etc What is best practice for back up and is there a preferred WP plug-in? I've looked over the Docs, Videos and it all seems to take for granted an assumed level of basic knowledge and best practice with regard to the questions I raise. Please advise Thanks

#2 alanf

alanf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

sorry typo in the URL Link removed by user request.

#3 WebWerx

WebWerx

Advocate

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Framework Version:2.2

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

@alanf: There is no set way to do things... Here is what we do: * Concept * Wireframe * NAV structure * WP Install * PL Framework install * Supporting PL Plugins (only) * Site build using PL Base Template * I would not recommend doing your own backups. Find a good Host and spend the money. One that does does backups and WP upgrades automatically. This is not a place to cheap out on $5.95 per month shared hosting. * PL Framework upgrades have been complicated - IMHO. I usually wait a couple of weeks to see what happens when everyone else upgrades.... (unless I am under the gun in some way). Then I do mine. It is a very complicated Framework where there are sure to be bugs for some Users. You do those yourself. *When in doubt backup. And then backup again. Core & database.(Repeat after me...) You need to understand how WP works before you touch PageLines. Your head will spin. I hope that this is helpful. :-)

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:21 AM

Thanks for the detailed list, WebWerx.

#5 alanf

alanf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:00 AM

hello WebWerx Thanks for the response, what PL plug ins do you think are essential. The website I gave in previous post will be a very simple site. My main site (we are a non-profit) will be something more involved. The original plan was to have a corporate site - xxx.org.uk and a separate blog on a separate domain - xxx.blog.org.uk. Because of the functionality of the PLF maybe we should merge the two sites so the blog is accessible from a menu item - blog. Is this easy to do? Should we install another instance of WP in a folder.... /blog and then point to it with a link from our corporate Static site? Any advice or where to look for tutorials would be great... ....sorry, but as I said I'm new to all of this.