Photo
- - - - -

New NavBar in 2.2.1 - Not displaying in IE8?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ianrob84

ianrob84

Advanced Member

• Members

• 41 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Hello I am working on a site using 2.2.1, and love the concept of the new Fixed and Standard NavBars, they look brilliant. The only problem is that they don't work with IE8 - the Fixed navbar and logo display, but with no menu content, and the Standard navbar doesn't show whatsoever. I know we should be upgrading our clients to IE9, (where the problem doesn't exist), but we have a LOT of users on WinXp, so IE9 just isn't an option..... Anyone have any ideas as to how we might overcome this? Thanks

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13234 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hi Ian, I recommend you read this post by one of our support members.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 ianrob84

ianrob84

Advanced Member

• Members

• 41 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

Thanks Danny, I appreciate that link, though I had already read it... It doesn't help, other than just point out the obvious - I just didn't think the second most used browser in the world would not recieve support.... I will just have to forget using the new NavBar. Cheers anyway.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13234 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hi Ian, I completely understand your issue, I will ask one of our developers if there is anything that can be done.

#5 ianrob84

ianrob84

Advanced Member

• Members

• 41 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thanks Danny - it's obviously nearly there as the fixed menu appears! Even if they could get just the fixed one to work - that would be a HUGE bonus!

Thanks, I look forward to seeing if it can be done,
Ian

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

If you don't see any further response/update about this issue, you can bump this up so that it doesn't get lost in the other threads.

#7 ianrob84

ianrob84

Advanced Member

• Members

• 41 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:16 AM

Great, thanks Catrina! Do you think it's something that is likely to be addressed/fixed? I was really hoping to maximise this new feature! Cheers, Ian

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

The developers will look into it, but I can't promise anything. :) I'm not familiar enough with browser-related problems to say since it's usually the browser itself that's the main issue.

#9 stelip

stelip

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hi, I have the same problem with the new navbar not working in IE8. Any sign of a fix? Steve

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Steve, as mentioned earlier, please read

No "fix" is possible because you can't change IE8 to work with later code. This is not a PageLines issue. We wrote the code to meet the latest standards for current browsers. If anyone's using an antiquated browser, that is outside our control. They should update to the latest. IE8 is not, as one commenter said, the 2nd most used browser. It is used by less than 4% of worldwide Internet users. Personally, I would never want to bring PageLines backwards, losing all its current capabilities to match that level of audience.

#11 ianrob84

ianrob84

Advanced Member

• Members

• 41 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

I only stated what was listed in the link above regards to browser usage. I'm not sure where you get less than 4% from? As mentioned, it's NOT feasible to update to IE9 in an enterprise environment where the majority of machines are on XP - admittedly, this is not the fault of Pagelines, however i think the tone of your post is unnecessary. We were simply asking if it could be make compatible, being made to feel like we're potentially bringing the Framework "backwards", is, frankly uncalled for. You've answered the question for us. The answer is no. Fair enough, but there are ways and means of saying it, and that, isn't it.

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Apologies if I offended anyone. It wasn't intentional. In order to affect changes as Steve asked for a fix, we'd literally have to go backwards in our coding to pre-HTML5 and pre-CSS3. That's not easy, and worse, it would remove the capabilities we built into the framework taking advantage of contemporary options. That's all I meant. Forgive my in-eloquence.

#13 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

Ahh yes, the bastard child of the browsers, Internet Explorer. Some more advanced sections/features dont currently fully support ie8, This is because they use CSS3/html5. so if ie8 support is important then dont use advanced functionality. We've decided to provide partial support for IE8, and full support for IE9 and up. First and foremost, we're a forward thinking company, and we're committed to making sure your sites are pimpalicous on forward thinking browsers such as Chrome, Safari, FF, and even the IE9 and 10. Secondly, the market share of IE8 is at 8%, and continues to drop dramatically month after month. Instead of focusing energy on a dying browser version, we instead focus our energy on compatibility with up to date browsers. Also, just today Chrome surpassed IE to become the worlds most used browser. To back some of the above, here's the global market share breakdown of IE;

Also, here's all the global market share of the browsers breakdown

Nick
  • dalia likes this

#14 stelip

stelip

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hi,

I would agree that supporting IE8 is time consuming at the same time I wouldn't want to loose any customers over it.

anyway here is a patch which seems to work

I am sure IE8 will continue to plague developers for a while to come. >:)

Steve

• janemesh1 likes this

#15 ianrob84

ianrob84

Advanced Member

• Members

• 41 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

I would agree that supporting IE8 is time consuming at the same time I wouldn't want to loose any customers over it.

anyway here is a patch which seems to work

You're actually amazing!

#16 JeremyF

JeremyF

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

Thanks stelip !! Worked perfect!!

#17 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

That specific patch, causes the dropdown to automatically open when it gets responsive. Not good. I've isolated to this sole piece of css that takes care of the menu issues in IE8. .nav-collapse{height:auto;} // IE8 Fix Nick

#18 kennyb

kennyb

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA
  • Framework Version:2.5

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Not sure this fixes IE8 - browser test is failing on IE8.

#19 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

if you have an issue please start a new thread, this one is 6 months old. Also 'browser test is failing' is a bit vague, what test exactly?