Magazine mode by Category

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tkevingallagher

tkevingallagher

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

I want my site to look more like a real news site. Instead of just showing the newest posts in Magazine Mode I want there to be a header on the blog page for each category. News, Politics, Technology, etc. Sometime a bit more like the Huffpost I suppose. Thank you.

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

It can't be accomplished using any settings that are readily available so you'll need to do it with template code. Are you using PlatformPro or PageLines Framework?

#3 francism

francism

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

You might like to have a look at the Types and Views plugin, which costs $49 - http://wp-types.com/ There's a very interesting tutorial that will show you exactly how to create what you want to do - http://wp-types.com/...magazine-theme/ Not sure I should be telling you this if you are a Rand Paul-ite :)

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, @francism.

#5 msaizan

msaizan

• Members

• 193 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

just want to mention that I sort of recall that there has been some conversation here about Types & Views not being compatible with Pagelines FW. Have you had any experience using PL with T & V @francism? Sorry for busting here but I am building out a news site as well, and so this conversation is of interest,

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16952 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

Hi tkevingallagher, There is a plug-in called Special Recent Posts, it basically adds a widget which has lots of options and on of these options is a shortcode for all the options you selected. This includes only displaying posts by category. You can then add this shortcode to your pages, its a really powerful plug-in.

#7 francism

francism

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hi msaizan, I'm new to Pagelines so I'm afraid I've no experience of using T & V with it.

#8 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

@tkevingallagher Please let us know if you still need help with this. :)