Photo
- - - - -

How can I seperate a blog using categories and letting the one category be on the frontpage?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vibekestorm

vibekestorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hi there, It has been so helpful using this forum and hopefully someone can help me with this issue as well. I have set up a website for my client. She wants to operate with to categories: "Blog" and "Ask Maj". I have set up the catory "Ask Maj" in the menu using the function menues in wordpress. But I would like to set up the front page to show only the category "Blog". Is that possible? And if so how? Is there anything in that matter that I should be aware of - I'm thinking about dublicate content and google. Can I be sure that nothing is showing twice somewhere? Thank you again for a great support forum (and by the way: I love the lates version of Pagelines Framework). Best regards, Vibeke

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Vibeke, Thank you for your kind words. I'd suggest you use Special Recent Posts, but also create a backup default blog page (as a static page, set for blogs in Dashboard > Settings > Reading). Special Recent Posts is a plugin that is free, though the paid version is very inexpensive.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

SRP allows you to separate the posts by category if you wish. It uses shortcodes which you customize to display whatever you wish. You'd create a page for Ask Maj, and apply the shortcode for that category to the page. There, only posts from the Ask Maj category will show. Create another static page called blog-2 and insert a generic shortcode (without category option) in that page. But at the bottom, create a link to the default blog page.

#3 vibekestorm

vibekestorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

Thank you, I've installed the plugin Special Recent Post Pro - so far so good. But I'm a bit of a newbie here - and a lot of things are still new to me. How do I find the shortcode for a category or a generic shortcode for that matter? Should I install a plugin for that? I couldn't find anything in the special recent post pro plugin.

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:04 AM

Here's hefty documentation on creating shortcodes:

(this is a bit long). Here's shorter documentation that (I think) is easier to follow: