#1 rljmedia

rljmedia

Advanced Member

• Members

• 86 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hello Guru's, I have upgraded to the new 2.2.1 framework and my site is just so slow on the page loads. Can someone check to see if something is wrong. Someone earlier on the chat told me I had secondary menu nav item doing something funny. I removed the secondary definition and now I seem to continue to have a slow website. www.rljmedia.com Thanks

#2 berylo

berylo

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

I've also upgraded to 2.2.1 and my site is loading very slowly too.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Do you have any active plugins that you can deactivate to see if the problem continues?

#4 rljmedia

rljmedia

Advanced Member

• Members

• 86 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

I will try an deactivate some.

#5 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Okay, let us know what happens.

#6 berylo

berylo

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

I deactivated all plug-ins and then reactivated one by one. To be honest, it's hard to tell as times to load seem variable either way. So I guess if it's variable that would rule out Pagelines? The best load time I've had with no plug-ins was about 4 seconds. I tried just now with all plug-ins reactivated and it was 6 seconds - if it was always that quick I wouldn't be complaining. But most of the time it is taking 12-15 seconds to load. So I am perplexed. What is an acceptable load time anyway? Are any of the plug-ins that supposedly speed up your site any good? Is there anything that you would recommend Catrina? Lastly, does my site seem slow to load to you?

In another discussion thread martinbay was complaining about slow loading times but I just went to his site and it seemed quite quick to me. Now I don't know what to think - maybe I am imagining it?

#7 rljmedia

rljmedia

Advanced Member

• Members

• 86 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

Hi Beryl, I tried loading your site and found it to be very slow. Almost worse then my site. My site is www.rljmedia.com it is also loading slowly.

#8 berylo

berylo

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

Roger has kindly confirmed that my site seems very slow to him too! It's a pretty simple site so I can't imagine why it should be so slow...help please? And yes Roger, I can confirm that your site is loading VERY slowly - I counted 28+ seconds - so it's even worse than mine at the moment.

#9 rljmedia

rljmedia

Advanced Member

• Members

• 86 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

I have disabled all the plugins that i could and I find my site www.rljmedia.com is very very slow. rljmedia.com

#10 rljmedia

rljmedia

Advanced Member

• Members

• 86 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

Now that most of the plugins are now disabled I find that my site now slower. I takes about 30 sec to load. I wish can understand what is wrong.

#11 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 2027 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

I like photography and your web. Your page loads fast on my Mac in Argentina now. I checked your speed at this link:

and does not exceed 3 seconds to load. I hope you serve

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15215 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

@rljmedia, I added your domain to a number of tools and as far as I can see, you're on a shared hosting plan/package and on the server your website is located you have 398 other websites using the same resources as yourself. Shared hosting is not ideal for any website as far as I am concerned. I would recommend you purchase a VPS or dedicated box, this way there will only be your websites on the server and using the servers resource. @Beryl, I have also added your website to the same service and found that you have 34 websites on the same server, this isn't really high but if any of these sites are using things like forums, large images etc... they could well be the cause of your slow load times. @rljmedia & @Beryl There are a number of ways to increase your websites load time and they're: ??? Do not use an insane amount of plug-ins, plug-ins can cause considerably high load times depending on the number of plug-ins installed. ??? Also make sure your plug-ins are all up to date. ??? Google ads/Facebook integration also can slow you website down. ??? Do not use huge image sizes, you can use a plug-in called SmushIt which will reduce your image sizes by a certain percentage. ??? Use a CDN, this will improve your load considerably, one CDN that is cheap and is highly recommend is

??? Use a Caching plug-in such as Wp-SuperCache or W3 Total Cache, remember to read through the documentation and any useful instructions that are on the web. WPBeginner has a useful article on how to set up W3 Total Cache. ??? When it comes to hosting, you most definitely get what you pay for. Shared hosting is by no means ideal for any environment, an example of this was just the other day, a user who's website was loading slow, had over 900 websites on the server his website was on. This is a sign of a bad web host. ??? I would recommend you look into purchasing a VPS/Ded Box, you will not be disappointed, or check the guys over at ZippyKid!

Would it be possible to tell us who is your web host provider please.

#13 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

Roger, I tested your site, and it loaded in under 10 seconds. Still pretty bad, but not 30 like you said.

I guarantee you the time is due to the over 20 images that the page is also trying to load:

Also, the "yellow" is a "wait" or the latency of your server. As you can see, it takes a few seconds just for your server to respond and send back the information. The "blue" is sending, so it seems that your server is pretty slow. Once everything is there, your site loads in under 3 seconds. I'd advise to install Lazy Load Plugin, it's free, and will basically prevent those from loading until you scroll down the screen. Nick

#14 rljmedia

rljmedia

Advanced Member

• Members

• 86 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

Thank you all for your input. I feel this entire process is making me do more than expected. I am also working in joomla and another drag and drop frameworks and i do not have to ever consider performance as an issue on a shared environment. I wish it was simple. I may be forced to swich to a VPS server with all my domains. Ugh! I am torn between another framework that is growing and the pagelines framework to develop my new sites. Pagelines is a great product and their are others that do not have me switch my entire organization because of performance. I love to product and feel I must let go pagelines and work on the other frameworks based on performance in a shared environment. Thank you for the feedback and knowledge. rljmedia.com rljmedia.com

#15 berylo

berylo

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

Hi Danny Thank you for all the tips - I shall start working through them one by one. My web host provider is

- those guys are great - I am a enthusiastic novice and they have helped me heaps so I'd hate to leave them unless I really had to. I've passed on what you've said to them so it will be interesting to hear back. Cheers Beryl

#16 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hey Roger, I feel your pain buddy. I too wish there was a magical process that took everything from my brain, to paper, with little to no effort. Unfortunately some clickage of the mouse has to occur in some instances, especially on a photography driven site. I was a pro photographer for many years, back when I was just starting web stuff. You have to compress your images, period. There's no way around it, especially if you want a quick loading site. If you're on a Mac, you can download a sweet app called JpegMini. Or, you can use their site as well. It saves teh quality of the images, but reduces their size by up to 70%. You have several 300-400kb sized images on your site, which is NOT optimal. Ideally, these should be cut by at minimum, 50%. As a framework, we do our best to make sure things are loading optimally. Additionally, we go further and make sure your stuff loads fast too, when we can. Case in point, the Lazy Loader plugin, free, that i recommended you install. This tags images with a lazy load attribute, which improves loading time. Beyond that, its up to you to make your site fast. If you have any questions, just give us a shout we're happy to help. Nick

#17 anthalis

anthalis

Advanced Member

• Members

• 60 posts
  • Framework Version:Dev. Latest. Always.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

Have to subscribe to what others have said before me - there's only so much you can do on a slow/busy server. W3 total cache can improve things a bit, if properly configured. Ideally it would be installed after finishing theme development. For on-site image optimization, Ewww Image Optimizer works well if your server has what it needs, namely jpegtran at a minimum to allow compression of jpegs on upload or bulk optimization afterwards. It will do about the same job that WP Smush it plugin but without http errors on image upload. However, I found that most hosts do not have jpegtran installed (which blows) mostly because they limit or disable php exec for security reasons - I guess it's easier for some to disable a useful option rather than learn to configure it properly to eliminate security risks. The plugin "Use Google Libraries" could also help out or make things more of a mess, depends on your luck really with this one. The images should be scaled as much as possible. For instance when using them in boxes of 300 px width, instead of using the full image you can paste in the URL of a medium sized or custom-size image - something like

(you can find them in your uploads folder if you got access to them), but it is a drag when you have too many images you need to use like that. However, it will not force an HTML / CSS resize. You can create custom image sizes for specific sections in the functions file, that way, you will have the almost ideal size on your server. I managed to push most sites up to 92/100 in PageSpeed with these methods even on stubborn sites. You can check out services like CloudFlare. They might help but I won't vouch for them since I don't see a considerable improvement on a site I am trying out. However, if you're up for experimenting they have a free account option and ok pricing for the upgraded packages. A CDN can speed things up A LOT as it would take off some of the server load, but it can be quite pricey. I guess it's a matter of doing the math - CDN vs VPS. A combo of the two would be ideal if the financials of it don't give you nightmares :) So, yeah. Speeding up sites on lazy servers is such a frustrating and time consuming thing...

#18 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:40 AM

I second what anthalis said!

#19 travelcafe

travelcafe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

The discussion re: Caching and CDN is useful and interesting, but a digression. The original question centered on the statement "I have upgraded to the new 2.2.1 framework and my site is just so slow on the page loads"... so, what is going on with v.2.2.1, and is anybody from Pagelines addressing these concerns?

#20 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15215 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hi TravelCafe, We have tested PageLines Framework 2.2 on multiple websites and the Framework with the new update is fast, very fast and is actually much faster than 2.0. The update was tested on the top ten hosting providers before we launched and the results were obvious. To test this TravelCafe if you like, create a test domain on your website such as sandbox.mywebsite.com and only have PageLines Framework installed and then use Pingdom or Google Page speed and check your sites performance. Post the results here also so we can take a look. Like I mentioned in a post above, I would not recommend Shared hosting for your websites hosting needs. I have been there before and my sites were loading incredibly slow, I then switched to a VPS and my sites page load time when from (according to Pingdom) being 85% slower than all sites tested to 74% faster than all sites tested and all I did was switch from shared hosting to a VPS.