• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 j0emv

j0emv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hi, I have a few items I'm working on for our site and need some suggestions for ways to tackle two items I need: 1) Right now, we're using a 960px page width. What is a good recommended page width? I'm thinking we lose a lot of screen real estate at 960px . 2) I have created a "Dashboard or toolbar" type series of icons in our private portal that users use as a quick way to get to the calendar, online grades, etc. I did it via just plain tables. Is there a cleaner way I could implement this? I'm not much of a designer or coder, so I'm looking for suggestions. It's typically 5-6 icons beneath the navigation in the full width sidebar. Thanks!

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

1. The general thinking today is 1100px is good. Personally, I use 1040 to 1068px. But each site can use the size that fits. The bigger question is which mode you use? Do you expect people to visit via mobile devices? If so, then responsive should be the mode, rather than fixed. 2. I couldn't answer it as I've not seen that. Can you post a screen shot?

#3 j0emv

j0emv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Here is a screenshot of the current dashboard I slapped together:

Posted Image

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

The icons look good. It's usually not recommended to use tables for unless you're inputting data, but you can try using
layers in columns instead. There is a tutorial on how to do that here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#5 j0emv

j0emv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Great, thanks all!