Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Firebug changes not taking effect

Question

Posted · Report post

I pulled the following code from firebug to change the spacing and it is not taking effect. I do not have w3cache installed.

#content .content-pad {
	? ? ? ? padding-top:? 0px;
	}
	.one-sidebar-right #column-main .mcolumn-pad, .two-sidebar-right #column-main .mcolumn-pad {
	? ? ? ? padding-bottom:? 0;
	? ? ? ? padding-left:? 15px;
	? ? ? ? padding-right:? 30px;
	? ? ? ? padding-top:? 0;
	}
	.hentry h1, .hentry h2 {
	? ? ? ? margin-bottom:? 0.5em;
	? ? ? ? margin-left:? 0;
	? ? ? ? margin-right:? 0;
	? ? ? ? margin-top:? 0.5em;
	}

16 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hey there! Did you follow the docs instructions on adding custom code? You can find them here: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_Custom_Code_Settings

Posted · Report post

Hi Stefan, i have used firebug and CSS frequently, and am following the directions. But for some reason, when adding the changes it doesn't take effect. www.sizzlinstone.com

Posted · Report post

Have you tried negative margins? (Negative padding doesn't work)

Posted · Report post

Hi Catrina, Did not try that. Not sure what the setting would be for that. But just to reiterate here, when I used firebug and changed the settings in firebug (as the code in first post) the changes took effect. When I copied it into my CSS, the changes did not take hold.

Posted · Report post

Sometimes that happens and if so, some changes may need to be made to the selectors. For example, for this: [code]#content .content-pad[/code] You may need to change it to this to be more specific: [code]#content .texture .content-pad[/code] This is because .content-pad is inside the
layer "texture" which is inside the
layer "content". It's like a Matryoshka doll of
layers.

Posted · Report post

Hi Catrina, I am a bit frustrated here. I have tried what you are saying at the top here and I still can't get the changes to take effect! Another site I'm also trying to get this to work on is www.regattamom.com This is what Firebug gave me: [code].pl-hero-wrap { ? ? ? ? -moz-box-sizing:? border-box; ? ? ? ? background-color:? #F2F2F2; ? ? ? ? border-bottom-left-radius:? 6px; ? ? ? ? border-bottom-right-radius:? 6px; ? ? ? ? border-top-left-radius:? 6px; ? ? ? ? border-top-right-radius:? 6px; ? ? ? ? box-shadow:? 0 0 6px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2) inset; ? ? ? ? max-width:? 100%; ? ? ? ? padding-bottom:? 20px; ? ? ? ? padding-left:? 60px; ? ? ? ? padding-right:? 60px; ? ? ? ? padding-top:? 45px; } #branding .content-pad { ? ? ? ? padding-bottom:? 5px; ? ? ? ? padding-top:? 5px; }[/code] And this is what I entered: [code]#hero .texture .content .content-pad .pl-hero-wrap { ? ? ? ? -moz-box-sizing:? border-box; ? ? ? ? background-color:? #F2F2F2; ? ? ? ? border-bottom-left-radius:? 6px; ? ? ? ? border-bottom-right-radius:? 6px; ? ? ? ? border-top-left-radius:? 6px; ? ? ? ? border-top-right-radius:? 6px; ? ? ? ? box-shadow:? 0 0 6px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2) inset; ? ? ? ? max-width:? 100%; ? ? ? ? padding-bottom:? 20px; ? ? ? ? padding-left:? 60px; ? ? ? ? padding-right:? 60px; ? ? ? ? padding-top:? 45px; } #branding .texture .content .content-pad { ? ? ? ? padding-bottom:? 5px; ? ? ? ? padding-top:? 5px; }[/code] Where am I going wrong???

Posted · Report post

Where are you pasting the code you're editing from Firebug?

Posted · Report post

In the Custom CSS tab on site settings.

Posted · Report post

Try this: [code]#hero .content .content-pad .pl-hero-wrap { -moz-box-sizing: border-box; background-color: #F2F2F2; border-bottom-left-radius: 6px; border-bottom-right-radius: 6px; border-top-left-radius: 6px; border-top-right-radius: 6px; box-shadow: 0 0 6px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2) inset; max-width: 100%; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-left: 60px; padding-right: 60px; padding-top: 45px; } #branding .content .content-pad { padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 5px; }[/code]

Posted · Report post

Nope that did not work. This is really getting frustrating as firebug almost always worked for getting the css code and now 99% of it doesn't apply. :( I have tried taking it from the section id (#branding) and then adding each div class one by one (.texture .content .content-pad) and it still had not effect. What am I missing here??

Posted · Report post

Try adding the !important declaration at the end of the attribute. For example: [code]padding-bottom: 5px !important;[/code]

Posted · Report post

tried that too and did not work.

Posted · Report post

This is what I get when I tried the important: PageLines Custom LESS/CSS error. parse error: failed at ` padding-bottom: 0 !important; ` line: 833

Posted · Report post

OK. I really don't know what I did differently but I tried your code again and it worked. However, I have not idea why LOL. I am trying to bring the navbar up and the css is saying : [code].section-navbar .content-pad { ? ? ? ? padding-bottom:? 15px; ? ? ? ? padding-top:? 0; } [/code] I have tried that- did not work. I tried: (did not work) [code].section-navbar .content .content-pad { ? ? ? ? padding-bottom:? 15px; ? ? ? ? padding-top:? 0; } [/code] I also tried: (did not work) [code]#section-navbar .content .content-pad { ? ? ? ? padding-bottom:? 15px; ? ? ? ? padding-top:? 0; } [/code] Any thoughts on what I'm missing?

Posted · Report post

Hm, do you have any other CSS that is actually working? (If none of it is working then maybe it's not a problem with the selectors, but with the CSS file overall)

Posted · Report post

Got it to work. here's what I used to remove the padding for the navbar: [code]#navbar .content .content-pad { padding-bottom: 0px; padding-top: 0px; }[/code] Thank you!