• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pagelines_45

pagelines_45

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

Site was working well but lived in a sub directory. The client asked me to move it. I tried to move the site out of a subdirectoy (/wp) to the root and now I have lost all formatting and can not access to admin. I copied my back up files into wp directory (as they were before the move) and still the same issue. I have always had an htaccess file in the root setting the destination to /wp. This all worked before. I am sure I have messed something up. Help would be appreciated. Thanks! David M

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

David, if your .htaccess file is properly permissioned, go to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks. Make sure the permalink setup is what you want. Save. Check the site. Your links will all be updated to the proper location.

#3 pagelines_45

pagelines_45

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi Rangelone, thanks for the quick response. This issue is I cannot access my Dashboard... I can see it on the server however when I try to log in I receive this message "The requested URL /wp-login.php was not found on this server."

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

It appears your WordPress installation is incomplete, missing key components. As it won't affect any Custom Code, I'd strongly recommend you reinstall WordPress in the root directory. I'd also suggest backing up your .htaccess but creating a new one. Use a new wp-config.php too. Let WordPress do a complete new reinstall. As long as you point it to the existing database, it should not overwrite that, but to be safe, copy that from phpMyAdmin.

#5 Henry Perkins

Henry Perkins

Friendly Contributor

• Members

• 198 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

If you have access to phpMyAdmin, go into the wp_options table and make sure the URLs are consistant with where you are moving your installation. If you were using a permalink structure, delete your .htaccess file from the directory that wordpress is installed in, and erase what is in permalink_structure row in wp_options table.

#6 pagelines_45

pagelines_45

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hi, so I had my hosting provider restore my webspace from the previous day and I am still having the same issues. Any thoughts? I am a web designer, not an true coder... I am not comfortable with reinstalling as I am concerned about loosing everything seeing as the back up produced the same result. Thanks! David

#7 pagelines_45

pagelines_45

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

So I edited the wp-config.php file and added: define('WP_HOME','http://myhome.com'); define('WP_SITEURL','http://mysiteurl.com/wp'); my files are in the subdirectory "wp" and the site came back up. When I pull that code the site looses it's formatting and I can not access the admin. When the site came back the only issue was one of the features was "broken". I'm not sure what is going on but hopefully this will help someone. Thanks everyone for your help!