Static Background Image on Refresh

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wasabikino

wasabikino

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

Is there a way to keep the background fixed, or static? I do not want it to reload when the site is refreshed. Can it remain fixed every time a user navigates to a new page?

#2 mlbailey

mlbailey

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm using a 25KB tileable background image as my website background, and it doesn't visibly reload every time the page is refreshed. Could your background image be too large, or large enough that it takes a second or two too long to reload?

#3 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

If it's a large background image that is designed to take up the entire width of the site, it's probably loading slowly because it's too big.

#4 wasabikino

wasabikino

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

ok - thanks! it loads pretty quickly - but i have turbo internet access. I'm just wondering if other people out there have to wait a long time for my background to load.

#5 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15098 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi, Well its hard for me to test as I have 100MB speed but you could use a plug-in called Smushit on Wordpress.org or try using a CDN. This will improve the performance for users who have dial up :D

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

You could also use a Photo editing software such as GIMP or Photoshop and reduce the image size further.

#6 wasabikino

wasabikino

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

OK thanks

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

There is a minor lag and I don't believe this is the result of the image file size. Rather, I believe it's the result of our supersize function, which causes the background to be included in a jQuery script that must load before the background image. I don't use supersize, and have a very wide background (min 2300px wide) and it loads before any scripts, so it's consistent with the site. I'm not sure what to do with your situation as unlike my background, yours needs to be visible in the screen, no matter what the size. Mine are designed to allow for any portion on the sides to be clipped by browser width. This may simply be something you need to live with (as I do with my totally receded hairline).

#8 wasabikino

wasabikino

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

OK - Thanks for your comments. I will live with it - like rangelone and his hair!!!

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

One does get accustomed to it (the baldness, I mean).