Alt method for activating the PageLines Base Theme

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zionsbank

zionsbank

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

I am working on a blog for my company and I have some very strick rules on what I can and can't access on my company's network. I can't access the PageLines store within Wordpress to download and install the Base Theme but I have downloaded the zip file from the web version of the store and saved it to my desktop. How do I active the the theme from here? Unfortunately I can't use the Wordpress feature to FTP the theme's zip file because I can only connect to the server using an SSH protocol. I've moved the unzipped directory to /wp-content/themes/ and left the directory name as "pagelines-template-theme" but changes I make to styles.css aren't showing up. Thanks for your help!

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

Go to wordpress/appearance => themes and activate the base theme from there.

#3 Jenny

Jenny

Owned by PageLines

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2920 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

I see you rejected Simon's answer but didn't provide details why. Please try to do that so we know how to help you. If you are unable to get the theme to your server through the Store, you can visit Appearance -> Themes to upload it. If that doesn't work, then use FTP (or whatever you need to use) to upload it to the wordpress themes directory. If that doesn't help, Then you should probably contact your network admin for permission since it IS for the company you work for.

#4 zionsbank

zionsbank

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thanks Simon for your response. Unfortunately I can't use the feature to active a theme in Appearances > Themes. I would have to give Wordpress FTP access to upload the zip file and my Info Security department has already nixed that idea (I work for a Bank). As I mentioned, I can move files to Wordpress using an SSH protocol and I've moved an unzipped copy of the base theme to wp-content/themes but is there a reason updating styles.css isn't effecting the styling of my blog?

#5 zionsbank

zionsbank

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks Jenny. My hands are completely tied and I can only move files to Wordpress but when I do that, styles.css doesn't change my site. Does the base theme need to be activated in some way other than simply moving the files to wp-content/theme?

#6 zionsbank

zionsbank

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

BTW, you didn't give me time to answer Simon ;-).

#7 Jenny

Jenny

Owned by PageLines

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2920 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

No prob. :) As long as the Base Theme shows up in Appearance -> Themes, you can activate it through there. If you've already done so, you can edit style.css in Appearance -> Editor -> style.css (make sure the theme shows as Base Theme before editing). Alternatively, if you just want to change CSS, you don't even need Base Theme installed. You can add custom CSS in PageLines -> Settings -> Custom Code.

#8 zionsbank

zionsbank

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

Wonderful! I think that answers my question. I'm worried my problem is more complex than I originally thought. The base theme isn't showing up in Appearances > Themes even though the files "exist" in the file structure. I'm going to visit with my server admin and see if there is a disconnect. Thanks for Custom Code tip! I've used that in the past and it works perfectly for small changes but I'm going to be making a lot of changes to the style sheet and I think the base theme would be a more appropriate choice. Let's count this as solved because the issues appear to be on my end. I really appreciate all the help! Ya'll are wonderful!