Custom Text Overlay on the QuickSlider

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 halflifestudios

halflifestudios

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hi, I am trying to incorporate an image with text, but also keeping the file size down by converting to a gif format with alpha transparency. But I would like to text to be much clearer especially on the second slide since when I saved it in PNG 32 with transparency the file was upwards of 211K. Is there anyway to over lay the text to the right instead of the bottom going across, that way I can get the native HTML fonts on the slide and also get the SEO goodness from the text overlaying the image? Any help in this regard will greatly help. Thank you.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Can you create some screenshots of what you'd like to achieve. I'm a bit unclear from your explanation. Our regular slider won't work for this goal? Or some alternative slider?

#3 halflifestudios

halflifestudios

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Actually I tried the Features and added my feature set. But when I add features on the Transparency theme that I purchased from the Pageline's store, it gets rid of all of the alpha overlays and the background image.

Also the text is the left of the slide, is there anyway to put the feature set text to the right so it looks like the image I am attaching. This is the ultimate goal and to have text overlay so I can get the text indexed, etc. Posted Image

And when I add a feature on the template it does this. Posted Image

And when I upload a alpha transparency gif in a feature it turns it to a black background. Is this a limitation of PageLines or is Wordpress doing this?

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

Actually, the transparent gif picks up the background color. I'm not sure if this is the site background or the slider background. The features have lots of meta options you can use, including placing text on the right or bottom, and I think in your case, the best Design Style is going to be Black Text Light Feature Background No Overlay. That should allow the text area background to be made semi-transparent by the theme. However, to make sure, you should write to the theme developer via the theme's page:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

If the child theme is removing the background image from the feature slider, you might wish to try a semi-transparent image (.gif or .png) in the Feature Media Image area. The child theme may be affecting the background as it is setting transparency of the background color. It could just be a conflict that may be resolved by using the other options. As for the QuickSlide, I must admit I've not used it, nor that child theme which should be supported by the author.

#5 halflifestudios

halflifestudios

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

Thank you, I have contacted the Theme developer and have inquired about the anomaly when a feature is added. As for the images that I uploaded, they were in fact a alpha transparent .gif files and they look fine on the WP features list page after I upload them. But when I have selected the feature set, they turn all black for some reason. Not sure why this is still happening.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

I can't be sure but I suspect the theme may be turning the image totally transparent and allowing the alternate background color (the one not made transparent) to show through.

#7 halflifestudios

halflifestudios

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

The theme developer responded: When the features are active this javascript error is showing which causes the js features to not work : "Uncaught ReferenceError: WPGroHo is not defined" Sounds like a plugin conflict to me... So it looks like there is a plugin conflict going on. Any ideas? I have W3 SuperCache and set the site with minify settings, but I never seen such a thing and kind of stinks that I cant use the PL feature plugin. Thank you for everything. This is going to be a tough one to nail down.

#8 halflifestudios

halflifestudios

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

I found out what was causing the issue, which is a bummer. It is something missing in JetPack that is causing the issue. As soon as I disabled it everything worked fine. So I am not sure what to do here since I use the stats on JetPack and the new forms. What to do... Any ideas?

#9 halflifestudios

halflifestudios

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

I have submitted this issue with WordPress and the JetPack support team. So I will see what they say, but I am sure they will point it back to PageLines. But I can only hope that the JetPack plugin fixes this conflict so I can implement the great slider you guys have. Thanks.