Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I create a custom 404 page?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello, The way I have tried it was creating a simple page, named it 404-page and tried to select the 404 error template from the page attributes template drop down. I noticed that it is not there, so I can't select it. I guess even if I could that would only be the template for the page and wouldn't actually tell wordpress or the framework that they should use that for 404 not found page. So, how do I create a custom 404 page? Thanks.

45 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Sorry, its on http://sell-4free.net and php.ini I went in and verified that it allows for settings to be in that file as overrides.

Posted · Report post

thanks Simon, I will use the Content Box. how about a Search field? How do I include that on my custom 404 page? there was one on the default 404, but canr see the way how to include it for the custom 404.

Posted · Report post

They appear to have a reseller account and are just reselling space on the same server.

Posted · Report post

Hi Charra

Ok I've been in and had a really good look around.

First issue is there is a plugin conflict, when all the plugins are disabled the text in the wp admin area resolves to normal size and the drag and drop acts as normal.

So you'll need to go through and see which plugin is causing the issue by deactivating one by one to see which is causing the changes on the admin area.

Second issue, the contentbox clone you're using is actually going into the 404 template, however any content placed inside seems to overridden by the code that's been inserted into the sitewide defaults panel for the contentbox. I can't see if this code relates to a plugin you have installed or is referenced in any css but it doesn't seem to change regardless of what information is entered into the contentbox clone's meta options. This could be related directly to the code being used or the php info Simon's mentioned above.

Good news is if i place a different section in there, like a full width sidebar then it reacts as normal. I was going to put in a fullwidth sidebar or a universal sidebar in with a text widget so you could enter your own text as planned, but both are being used. So for the moment I've put in the standard 404 text until you can either free up a spare sidebar or see if the other options above resolve the meta box settings saving.

Posted · Report post

Ok and I thank you sincerely for your time. I will address these in the morning.

Thanks for spending your time on this.

Posted · Report post

The search field is usually added using PHP in the WordPress template code, but I'm not certain if Content Box will accept this kind of code. Since Content Box should accept shortcodes, I would recommend finding a plugin that would allow you to add a search bar using a shortcode: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

Posted · Report post

You're welcome. I hope you get it resolved Charra, keep us posted :-)

Posted · Report post

thanks rangelone, I think that sort of solves it (until I need that sidebar for something else :D)

Posted · Report post

Ok I deactivated everything, including pagelines, then reactivated pagelines, still will not save the text I put into that content area.

Posted · Report post

The Content Box, once added, is found in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets like a typical sidebar. Add the widgets you like to it.

Posted · Report post

What text/code are you trying to add?

Posted · Report post

Rob contentbox is not a sidebar ;)

WebWerx Your looking at the dashboard there, click on the left where is says 'page options' and you will see the 404 template area options. Also update those addons!!!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Sorry, absolutely no text will save.

Posted · Report post

Sorry, I meant the Content Sidebar.

Posted · Report post

What happens when you save?

Posted · Report post

here are screenshots This is the first part where I choose the settings of the 404 page

404Setup.jpg

Then this is what it looks like after I click save.

4041.jpg

On the Content box I did this

4043.jpg

When I saved it I got this

4044.jpg

There should be an option to put in a sitemap on a 404 like www.mainlinerealestators.com/wassssssup

Thanks everyone for your input.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Catrina, are you sure I need a plugin? By default the search field is included on the 404 page. just because I create a custom one I should not need a plugin, should I? (it does not have to be in/on the Content Box, there is plenty space there for any other section/short code/ etc.

Posted · Report post

On your 404 template, add a unique sidebar you've not used elsewhere like Universal, Full Width or Tertiary. Then, in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets just add the Search field to that sidebar. Your 404 will then include the search field without coding.

Posted · Report post

When you deactivated everything and then reactivated, did you test the contentbox text whilst all the plugins were deactivated? I've just tried setting up the same thing in my test site and its working, so there must be a conflict of some kind on your install.

If you want to set up an admin level user id on your install and dm me the username and password I'll log in and take a look for you.

Posted · Report post

Just saw this (thanks for your prompt reply) and will make changes and update you soon.