Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I create a custom 404 page?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello, The way I have tried it was creating a simple page, named it 404-page and tried to select the 404 error template from the page attributes template drop down. I noticed that it is not there, so I can't select it. I guess even if I could that would only be the template for the page and wouldn't actually tell wordpress or the framework that they should use that for 404 not found page. So, how do I create a custom 404 page? Thanks.

45 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I am also wondering what I do in order to customize the page for adding a search box (for example). I'd normally do that with a hook... But am pondering how to do it with the above method.. :huh:

Thanks for the nudge Simon.

Posted · Report post

I am having some issues with these instructions:

If you've added Content Box to the 404 Error template, now go to Dashboard > PageLines > Meta > 404 Error > Content Box. There you may add content manually to the content box. It's rather like a text widget. However, be sure to add your 404 too, because that may not be there by default anymore. Make sure to check it.

. I do not see the "Meta" option: http://cl.ly/image/1W3r2f1m1T1K - so I have no way to change the content on my 404 Error page after having added a Content Box.

Posted · Report post

Sorry for the intrusion, but I noticed your conversation while searching about the 404 hack. I noticed that one plugin which always enters in conflict with PL is ProfileBuilder. Last year I had to deactivate it. And use ThemeMyLogin, which actually has problems in redirection with Wordpress 3.5 and had to be deactivated too.

Hope it helps, best.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for your input Veronica!

Posted · Report post

Go to Dashboard > PageLines > Templates > and click "Page Templates". Then, click 404 Error. Simply drag the elements you wish to add into that template. You may also do the same thing in the Content Area, depending on your preferences.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

sent pm. Thanks

Posted · Report post

Thanks. I currently added 'Content' to the template. How do I add my actual text as a content?

Posted · Report post

OK i think this is a PHP limitation.

Can you create a file in your blog DIR so here: 

/home/content/97/10165997/html/

call it php.ini and add the following to it:

max_input_vars = 6000

Posted · Report post

Simon, any and all changes to;

Page Options >> 404 Page >> adding any content simply will not save.

I'm adding text and shortcode to the box that says;

Content Box Content
Add content for the box

Posted · Report post

Any other ideas?

Posted · Report post

Did Simon's solution not have any effect? If we log in again we'll need to disable all your plugins in order to see if we can find anything else out, if you have any settings you're worried might be lost by deactivating these plugins please back up in advance. Let us know.

Posted · Report post

Hi Charra

If you're experiencing issues with meta not saving on the 404 page as you seeing it on other pages too? Sometimes plugins can conflict and affect the admin area/drag and drop/settings being saved. Try deactivating any active plugins to see if the settings will then save.

Posted · Report post

I've already done that, deactivated everything and no, adding max_input_vars = 6000 did nothing.

Posted · Report post

If you've added Content Box to the 404 Error template, now go to Dashboard > PageLines > Meta > 404 Error > Content Box. There you may add content manually to the content box. It's rather like a text widget. However, be sure to add your 404 too, because that may not be there by default anymore. Make sure to check it.

Posted · Report post

Well I'm quite happy to go in and have another look around to see if there's anything else I can spot but I'd need to your permission to log in and to test inside the admin area :-)

Posted · Report post

Give me 20 min to backup text widgets.

Posted · Report post

Ok let me know when you're ready :-)

Posted · Report post

Thanks rangelone, I replaced the Content (which I had there) with the Content Box (which you suggested) and did the meta settings as well and now I can see the text on the 404 page. I think I can manage from here, thank you. Although I wonder how is section 'Content' available for the 404 template but is not for the 404 Meta settings....what do I do with that one if I add it to the 404 template? (for example I would prefer having Content to having Content Box, as then I wouldn't have to customize that, it would inherit the site's style, but now I have to customize the Content Box, which is great and necessary if I want it to be different from other pages, but is extra work if I want the 404 page to look like any other page.

Posted · Report post

Ok its ready.

Posted · Report post

Your host might have user php.ini disabled. There is no way for us to tell.

Ask them what max_input_vars is set to, and if its set to the default of 1000 can you have it upped.

Ask them if you have mod_security enabled, if so can you disable it in your wp-admin.

Posted · Report post

ps, you have not provided a url or anything for us to use to try and help you.

Posted · Report post

You can add any section you like to the 404 page template area, and then adjust the settings under the 404 special settings area.

Posted · Report post

Oh wait, if were talking about the same URL as the one listed in your profile....

800 other sites on your IP, some of them are flagged as questionable content, and its godaddy?

Posted · Report post

Hi Simon, Where is the '404 special settings area' ? :) Do you mean the Meta settings at Dashboard/Pagelines/Meta/404 Page ? My question was; how do I add content/text to the 'Content' section which I include on the Dashboard/Templates/Page Templates/404 error/Active sections ?

Posted · Report post

Use the contentbox section, its kind of like a text widget. There is no 404 page editable area as it is not a real page/post.