• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 revoltoid

revoltoid

Advanced Member

• Members

• 99 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

Hello, The way I have tried it was creating a simple page, named it 404-page and tried to select the 404 error template from the page attributes template drop down. I noticed that it is not there, so I can't select it. I guess even if I could that would only be the template for the page and wouldn't actually tell wordpress or the framework that they should use that for 404 not found page. So, how do I create a custom 404 page? Thanks.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Go to Dashboard > PageLines > Templates > and click "Page Templates". Then, click 404 Error. Simply drag the elements you wish to add into that template. You may also do the same thing in the Content Area, depending on your preferences.
  • WebWerx likes this

#3 revoltoid

revoltoid

Advanced Member

• Members

• 99 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thanks. I currently added 'Content' to the template. How do I add my actual text as a content?

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

If you've added Content Box to the 404 Error template, now go to Dashboard > PageLines > Meta > 404 Error > Content Box. There you may add content manually to the content box. It's rather like a text widget. However, be sure to add your 404 too, because that may not be there by default anymore. Make sure to check it.

#5 revoltoid

revoltoid

Advanced Member

• Members

• 99 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

Thanks rangelone, I replaced the Content (which I had there) with the Content Box (which you suggested) and did the meta settings as well and now I can see the text on the 404 page. I think I can manage from here, thank you. Although I wonder how is section 'Content' available for the 404 template but is not for the 404 Meta settings....what do I do with that one if I add it to the 404 template? (for example I would prefer having Content to having Content Box, as then I wouldn't have to customize that, it would inherit the site's style, but now I have to customize the Content Box, which is great and necessary if I want it to be different from other pages, but is extra work if I want the 404 page to look like any other page.

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

You can add any section you like to the 404 page template area, and then adjust the settings under the 404 special settings area.

#7 revoltoid

revoltoid

Advanced Member

• Members

• 99 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hi Simon, Where is the '404 special settings area' ? :) Do you mean the Meta settings at Dashboard/Pagelines/Meta/404 Page ? My question was; how do I add content/text to the 'Content' section which I include on the Dashboard/Templates/Page Templates/404 error/Active sections ?

#8 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Use the contentbox section, its kind of like a text widget. There is no 404 page editable area as it is not a real page/post.

#9 revoltoid

revoltoid

Advanced Member

• Members

• 99 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

thanks Simon, I will use the Content Box. how about a Search field? How do I include that on my custom 404 page? there was one on the default 404, but canr see the way how to include it for the custom 404.

#10 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

The search field is usually added using PHP in the WordPress template code, but I'm not certain if Content Box will accept this kind of code. Since Content Box should accept shortcodes, I would recommend finding a plugin that would allow you to add a search bar using a shortcode:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#11 revoltoid

revoltoid

Advanced Member

• Members

• 99 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

Thanks Catrina, are you sure I need a plugin? By default the search field is included on the 404 page. just because I create a custom one I should not need a plugin, should I? (it does not have to be in/on the Content Box, there is plenty space there for any other section/short code/ etc.

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

On your 404 template, add a unique sidebar you've not used elsewhere like Universal, Full Width or Tertiary. Then, in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets just add the Search field to that sidebar. Your 404 will then include the search field without coding.

#13 revoltoid

revoltoid

Advanced Member

• Members

• 99 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

thanks rangelone, I think that sort of solves it (until I need that sidebar for something else :D)

#14 WebWerx

WebWerx

Advocate

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Framework Version:2.2

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

I am having some issues with these instructions:

If you've added Content Box to the 404 Error template, now go to Dashboard > PageLines > Meta > 404 Error > Content Box. There you may add content manually to the content box. It's rather like a text widget. However, be sure to add your 404 too, because that may not be there by default anymore. Make sure to check it.

. I do not see the "Meta" option:

- so I have no way to change the content on my 404 Error page after having added a Content Box.

#15 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

The Content Box, once added, is found in Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets like a typical sidebar. Add the widgets you like to it.

#16 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

contentbox is not a sidebar ;)

Your looking at the dashboard there, click on the left where is says 'page options' and you will see the 404 template area options. Also update those addons!!!

• WebWerx likes this

#17 WebWerx

WebWerx

Advocate

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Framework Version:2.2

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

I am also wondering what I do in order to customize the page for adding a search box (for example). I'd normally do that with a hook... But am pondering how to do it with the above method.. :huh:

Thanks for the nudge Simon.

#18 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Sorry, I meant the Content Sidebar.

#19 charrabennett

charrabennett

Advanced Member

• Members

• 45 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Framework Version:Pagelines Developer v 2.3.2

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

Simon, any and all changes to;

Page Options >> 404 Page >> adding any content simply will not save.

I'm adding text and shortcode to the box that says;

Content Box Content
Add content for the box

#20 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

Hi Charra

If you're experiencing issues with meta not saving on the 404 page as you seeing it on other pages too? Sometimes plugins can conflict and affect the admin area/drag and drop/settings being saved. Try deactivating any active plugins to see if the settings will then save.