Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Boxes/Feature media problem when protecting files using "User access manager"

Question

Posted · Report post

Dear all, I have the following problem when using Pagelines framework and the Wordpress plugin User Access Manager: When activating the option "protect files" - either using normal mode or fopen - images/media of boxes/features are not displayed anymore on the page. Deleting and re-creating the boxes/features has no effects. I guess this has something to do with pageline renaming/saving these media files as they are also referenced in the media overview as not used in any post. Any suggestion on how to solve this? Assigning file access to certain user groups only is essential for my project and I have not found an alternative plugin achieving this (just protecting the files with one pw is not sufficient). Thanks in advance!

2 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi, If you look at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-access-manager/ carefully you'll see that about 45% of the people reporting say it's broken. That's a pretty bad percentage. I've generally recommended a much lower benchmark for replacing plugins in past and I'll stick to that here too. The likely problem is custom post types. Both boxes and feature slider use them. It could also be an issue with jQuery, though boxes don't use that. I don't believe the renaming of images should in any way affect this, particularly as boxes don't necessarily need them and my test of your plugin with boxes without images also failed. I can say that s2Member has worked for me in the past; better than any other membership/site security script.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the heads-up - this explains the problems. The s2Member Plugin is actually too "heavy" for what I want to achieve. But through this tip I found anogher plugin - WP-Filebase Download Manager - which does in combination with user roles the job. Thanks anyway!