Photo

Main navigation doesn't show current item for categories, only pages - Whitehousepro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rstarr

rstarr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

1. I cannot get the category items in the main nav to highlight when on that category page. 2. I want the blogpage as the front page. and a menu item that shows that you are on the blog page. I can't get this to highlight either , but I'm assumint it's due to the category issue. thank you.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hi,
Category pages are dynamically created, and thus will not highlight in a menu unless the category is in the menu and is clicked. If you are in a post in the category, it will not highlight the category in the menu because WordPress (not WhiteHouse Pro) believes you're on the post. Even if you clicked, for example "News" which is a category link, in your menu, then clicked "News" in the meta bar of your post ('in News...'), the menu highlight would change. WordPress simply doesn't see that you're in the same place because the clicking action changed the dynamic location.

By default, WhiteHouse Pro comes with a blogpage as the homepage. Likely at some point, you went to Dashboard > Settings > Reading and changed things. Simply navigate to that location and make sure that the setting for "Front page displays" is Your latest posts. This too is a dynamically created page, but the menu will highlight it because it's not a category. However, I'm unsure what happens if you've added some customization of the menu to change the colors on hover or active. The dynamic Home Page picks up your latest posts as a blog page would, but it is a unique page. It will require its own menu item. See my own set up at http://www.epicurusgroup.com.