Diminish size of sections on page separate from page/contentwidth
Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:54 PM
Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:35 AM
2) By smaller. do you just want the width to be decreased (no height adjustment)?
3) Add this CSS to move the title and description down a bit:
^ Adjust the value (50) if you want to move it down or up further.
There isn't a graphic made, but practicing with Firebug is a good way to find the selectors you need.
Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:59 PM
You're right about Firebug that it's a good way to learn, I'm doing that most of the time, but with this I can find a solution, sorry.
regarding 1) I've tried
But nothing happens. I also worried that this (if it worked) might change this for all pages and I want it for only the front page. So I guessed I have to add #post-31 before the selectors?
Yes only width
Your suggestion for the title-container doesn't do anything overhere. Maybe something overrules it but I can't find what. I've noticed with Firebug that sometimes you can change something and it changes right on the page, but when I add it to style.css nothing happens. Have you experienced this behaviour?
Thanks for your help and time, Jan
Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:00 PM
I'm going to deal with these one at a time, if you don't mind.
As I understand point 1, you want to make the excerpt width appear to have even amounts of white space on either the left or right side. To achieve this, try adding the following to your Custom Code > CSS Rules:
You may need to adjust the 70px width. I'm doing this by eye. You might want to try a more exact means of measuring it.
That code will ONLY affect the excerpts in Special Recent Posts. It won't change the title or anything else.
Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:03 PM
Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:10 PM
I did not inspect other parts of the site with that, and it might have impact outside the front page.
Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:13 PM
If not, then change the 50px to a bigger or lesser number as you see fit.
Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:49 AM
Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:22 AM
I've tried your suggestion regarding the SRP Pro widget. Your suggestion works perfectly well, but in case of long titles it wouldn't work as you already mentioned because it works only on excerpt.
What I've never understood but starting to grasp is that you have to apply a margin on more then one selector to really change something. That's probably because they're nested in each other?
Also the > trick I'd never seen. After researching that on the web it became a bit clearer.
So to summarize the solution.
- I changed the layout to full-width. 'Hide empty sidebars' in Pagelines settings didn't do anything. Maybe because I'm using the Visual widget logic plugin? But I didn't research that further.
- When looking at the design I decides that I can better make the SRP widget even less wide to improve readability. I used the Visual Composer plugin (great addition for Pagelines btw, maybe one day included) to divide the main content in 2/3+1/3. I used the 1/3 for news.
- Still I had to create a large space left to approach my initial design. That I initially did with the empty sidebar. I used the following code to do that (I've made it in percentages to keep the site responsive for mobiles)
This code that you posted above changes the right margin on all pages in every sidebar so is a bit too drastic ;-)
But it was interesting to see you use the > sign. I wasn't aware of this function in CSS so I learned a bit!
3) Moving the title worked, but I didn't want it to go down, just to the right. So it had to be a margin-left.
Thanks again for all your help, also Catrina.
Great to have a place where you can learn in this way.