Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Default Pagelines-Ads Features keep replicating themselves!!!!

Question

Posted · Report post

UPDATE: The solution, or at least a suggested cause, can be found at http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/16936/features-and-boxes-have-duplicated-itself-in-the-backend#Item_2. Evidently there are some out-of-date plugins that can cause this behavior... although why the behavior would have showed up after I updated the plugins is elusive. Original text follows: At least so far this is an unpleasantly random bug with too many uncontrolled variables, but... I updated the plugins in my WordPress installation this afternoon. Then I installed and configured WPML to work with another URL that points to the same installation files. Now, about five times in the last six hours, something in the system... not sure exactly what... adds the sample PageLines Features items (e.g. PageLines Framework, Drag&Drop Control, Add-On Marketplace, etc., with the large black background images.) When I go in and delete them (confirming they're gone on both the English and Dutch sides of WPML they stay gone for a while and then they show back up again, sometimes with yet another set of duplicates. In case that's not clear, the first time it happened I deleted six. Next time 12. Next time 18, etc. Not fun. Even less fun since the Add Link to Facebook plugin dutifully posts them, all of them, as updates on Facebook. Which makes both my client and PageLines look like spammers. I've disabled Add Link to Facebook so at least my site isn't a mini spam generator. I know this is an unforgivably vague support request. And I'll continue to test to see if I can generate a reproducible script. But meanwhile is anybody familiar with this sort of behavior? Thanks!

40 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

About which page uses boxes: The only page calling any boxes that I'm aware of is a [i]very[/i] rough prototype page, http://healthysenseofself.com/home/. (It's not actually the home page!) The PageLines meta settings -> Select Box Set To Show settings for that page specify a box set I actually want displayed rather than "default-boxes" which is where all the spam boxes are showing up. ----- About the plugins: Yes, some of those plugins are redundant, but most of those are for the client's legacy pages. I'm slowly going through and trying to replace them with newer ones that do all the work [i]and[/i] are currently maintained by their developers. Others, like the import/export, move, and backups I can disable except when needed. But. They're there for now.

Posted · Report post

Well if its not even a public page, why not just not use the boxes? Then disable the section completely ?

Posted · Report post

As with Features, just because we're not planning to use them now doesn't mean we don't intend to use them. On the home page. I guess I'll just try it with divs. But...? You sure there's no simple way just to disable creating or updating samples without disabling entire sections?

Posted · Report post

Hi David, I'm not entirely sure if there is a simple way to disable creating or updating samples. I think the best course of action would be to see if Simon has any other suggestions for you.

Posted · Report post

Eh. I just gave up and disabled features and (new) boxes. In retrospect I can just work around the issue by hand-building them with
tags. Presumably I'll encounter the same issue if I try and use rotators, highlights, callouts, and other PageLines features. So I guess I won't try those either.

Posted · Report post

Do you need assistance with anything else?

Posted · Report post

So this just happened to me. I didn't do anything accept edit and save a couple features. Then I installed the Reorder plugin to change the order and that didn't work, then I installed the Post Types Order (Version 1.5.4 | By NSP CODE) plugin to change the order (which DID work) and BAM! features started duplicating themselves... Then I deleted Reorder and disabled Post Types Order and they stopped replicating. Then, I turned it back on and it started replicating again. So, it appears that the issue is the recommended plugin to manage the order of Features. So, now I can't use this plugin, but need a way to change the order of the Features. Does anyone know how I can manually change it in the DB or elsewhere? Thanks!! and hope this helps!

Posted · Report post

The alternative is the feature slide time. I'm not sure how you specifically order them, but you should set the time of the post to the order you want (as if scheduling a post). You'll have to experiment with the times. The plugin causing this just sets the time anyway, so you're effectively doing the same thing manually. Admittedly a bit time consuming, but it works.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the suggestion. This seems to change the order in the admin, but not in the front end presentation. Any other thoughts. Thanks!

Posted · Report post

You could try adding them in the order you want them to appear. Only problem is I don't know if they display top to bottom or bottom to top. :(

Posted · Report post

Change the sort order to Date mode, and change the publish date on the actual features, this is exactly why this was added. http://screencast.com/t/Ly8mou2s6

Posted · Report post

Thanks! Hadn't noticed that and now I know and order is changed! Appreciate it!!

Posted · Report post

I had a similar problem to this a while back. Couldn't figure out how to fix it, and eventually gave up. Then I dissevered my site had been hacked due to some other issues I was having. When I got that fixed, the problem went away, and hasn't been back since.

Posted · Report post

Interesting, did you ever find out how they got in?

Posted · Report post

No, I did it through Sucuri. The report didn't say why it happened, but I'm guessing it had to do with badly outdated sites I was hosting at the time.