• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 jankowalski

jankowalski

Advocate

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

post clip image is served in full size. i am talking about magazine mode. how to change that? it does slow down my page.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15242 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hi Jan, If I understand you correctly, do you want to change the image size in Magazine mode ? Also can you provide a link to your site please or is this local ?

#3 jankowalski

jankowalski

Advocate

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

yes you understand correctly. just standard instalation with blog in magazine mode.

#4 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

If you inspect the magazine image using Firebug (or similar) you will see the following:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

And the CSS shows:

Which means it is inline CSS styling. To change this, you will need to adjust both the max-width and the width values to whatever you want.

To make sure it only applies to the clip's CSS, you'll need to start out by using

.. and then go from there using the CSS from the link I posted at the top.

#5 jankowalski

jankowalski

Advocate

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

i don t want to resize down the image, i want to load thumbnail instead. As i can see the image is using class img.attachment-large.wp-post-image Is magazine mode, a pagelines functionality or it comes from wordpress? if it pagelines layout, then it should be modified, i dont see a reason to load full size image on post list.

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:53 AM

magazine mode uses the thumb images for the image if they exist.

#7 jankowalski

jankowalski

Advocate

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

how do i create thumbs, in admin panel, in settings / Media i set thumbnails 100 x 150 in Media / libary this particular picture is 600 x 400 px how do i make sure i have thumb generated for this picture thou? i guess i do not have, if full size pictures are loading on blog page.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15242 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hi Jan, Are you by any chance using the "Feature Post Excerpt Mode" option "On Top" ?

#9 jankowalski

jankowalski

Advocate

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

yes @danny i do use this option

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15242 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

OK, because I just used that option and found that the image was also full size, I think this may well be a bug with that option (nice catch). I'll add this to the tracker on your behalf, thanks for bring this to our attention.

#11 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

The image on top option is supposed to be full size, thats the idea

#12 jankowalski

jankowalski

Advocate

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

@Danny thank you for adding it, but what does it actually mean, when it is going to be fixed? @Simon idea is good for detailed blog page, but not for main page (archive) where you have to list 6 or more posts, they are beeing resized donw by css anyway, so it does make no sense to serve them big. just make page loading slow. Google don t like it, when i analyze my website here

the first thing they say is SERVE SCALED IMAGE If you have diferent idea, could you please be so kind to provide me a hack so i can call thumb on archive page? thank you

#13 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

Not sure what you mean, when the images are set to 'top' they are full size, not scaled. If you can post a link it might be helpful.

#14 jankowalski

jankowalski

Advocate

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

@simon on single blog page, i set the "Feature Post Excerpt Mode" option "On Top" under "Blog and Post" so image apears above the title. on single post page it is necessary so it apear big on archive page i wish to have 6 thumbnails instead of 6 resized by css fullsize pictures, in my last post i explained why. hope you get the idea.

#15 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

I'm not an experienced enough coder to give you pointers about how to 6 thumbnails display specifically in the archive page. By "6 resized by css fullsize pictures" are you referring to just regular images added inside the post and resized rather than uploaded as featured images (this sounds like a do-able workaround)?

#16 jankowalski

jankowalski

Advocate

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

you can set 6,5 or 8 posts in worpdress settings, it doesn t mater, i m not asking how to display it, it is already done by magazine mode. what i am talking about for 3 days now is that those pictures should be served as small images because as you have noticed it is kind of do-able workaround. @danny also noticed that it is a bug.. Now, could anyone please tell me how to fix it? @simon i have send you link by priv.

#17 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

If you want to send me a link, email it. What you could do is set like this:

You'll then get the small images on the blog page, and the full image on the post page.

#18 jankowalski

jankowalski

Advocate

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

@simon i want to have my clip image on blog page on top of the post, so "Left, In Excerpt " is not what I am looking for... I know it works like this. But if this option is displaying thumb, why "on top" can not work the same way? there is no way a full size image will fit on 2 column magazine mode layout, so it really has no sense, and 2 people already admit it. i know this full size option on blog page is probably necessary for "Blog Layout Mode" and if developers want to leave it as is it s ok, but please tell me which file should i edit, so i can replace this image class in magazine mode. i really need it.

#19 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

The file would be class.posts.php
function is post_thumbnail_markup()
I strongly suggest to not edit this or any file!
There is a filter supplied in this function for you to change the markup:

#20 jankowalski

jankowalski

Advocate

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Thank you, this is promising after all those unnecesary mails. Sorry, I m not familiar with filters, so where can i learn about it? I d like to set thumb size 200 x 300 px for magazine mode. greatings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved