Using get_the_image() in Pagelines Framework 2.0

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 svakanda

svakanda

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

Hi, I've been trying all afternoon to successfully integrate Get The Image wordpress plugin into my pagelines framework 2.1.6 theme. I've been poking around in class.posts.php, and I haven't quite been able to figure it out. I've tried to set several variables to the return value of get_the_image() so that the results of that function would be sent along to pagelines, but its more complex then I imagined. I was able to do this very easily in platform pro, but obviously pagelines is a more complex system. Could anyone point me in the right direction here? I want my excerpt images/post thumbails to display the results of the get_the_image() plugin function...I just don't know where to plug it in to pagelines theme. I've spent hours on this, and my head is all fuzzy and hurting =( Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. R

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

First, it's really a bad idea to edit core pages as they would be overwritten with the next update and all your work would be lost, not to mention, it's not a supported activity. I don't know that plugin, but per the WordPress page for it, I'm seeing that a php include is suggested. Not sure where you plan to place the images, but, it may be best to try the PHP as a shortcode. You'd do that with Shortcode Exec PHP http://wordpress.org...tcode-exec-php/

#3 svakanda

svakanda

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

Thanks Rangelone, I understand about the update system. I am just trying to figure out WHERE I would do it, before I setup a child template for the fix. Here is the documentation for get-the-image... http://moneyquestion...age/readme.html I checked out the shortcode suggestion...and thats all great, an easy way to execute PHP. But it's not just an arbitrary piece of php I am looking to execute.... the get_the_image() function will return a thumbnail image for me, and I am looking to replace the default featured image in the Postloop, with the image returned by get_the_image()...So I still need to figure out where the featured image thumbnail is set in the postloop.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

Wow. Sounds like a great plugin, but it is going to take lots of customization that I'm sorry to say, goes beyond my skill set. It just ruined my ego. lol. I think this is going to need the help of one of our pros to craft a specialized hook. I'm very familiar with hooks, but this involves the source of the thumbnail. I'm not sure if you'd find it worthwhile but let me suggest getting a quote from http://www.pagelines.com/pros. I'm pretty confident it can be done, I just don't know quite how. Apologies. I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board on this one.

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

Oh, one of my colleagues might have a better idea, so don't give up the ship!

#6 svakanda

svakanda

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Thanks Rangelone, I won't =)

#7 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

Do you need further assistance or will you be contacting a Pro? :)

#8 svakanda

svakanda

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:17 AM

I'm bashing my head against it until I can figure it out. Any pointers or thoughts are much appreciated Catrina.

#9 svakanda

svakanda

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

Thanks for the help. I think I've found it.

Around line 383 on includes/class.posts.php

is this line:
 $img = ( $mode == 'top' ) ? get_the_post_thumbnail( null, 'large' ) : get_the_post_thumbnail( null, 'thumbnail' );

My get the image plugin is actually not serving up the image correctly, I think it must be the most recent version of wordpress perhaps. So I'm playing with it more, but at least I know where to insert it now =)

#10 svakanda

svakanda

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

Okay!!! I figured it ALL out. Get The Image works FINE with Pagelines 2.0 and here is how...replace

this line, around 383 on includes/class.posts.php
 $img = ( $mode == 'top' ) ? get_the_post_thumbnail( null, 'large' ) : get_the_post_thumbnail( null, 'thumbnail' );

with this line

$img = get_the_image( array( 'echo' => false, 'image_class' => "attachment-thumbnail wp-post-image" ));

That echo parameter being set to false is very important...it sets the function output as a return value instead of an echo, so you can pass the image data back into Pagelines.

#11 svakanda

svakanda

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

hmmm is there any way to mark this discussion as resolved? I can't accept my own post as an answer...ALSO, for the fix above, you should probably do it under a child theme like rangelone mentioned.

#12 svakanda

svakanda

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

mmhmm few more nuances here....
around line 270 you will see this:

$thumb = ( $this->pagelines_show_thumb( $id ) ) ? $this->post_thumbnail_markup( $excerpt_mode, $format ) : '';

It is the conditional that determines which posts DESERVE to process the thumbnail code.
In my case, I changed it to this:
 $thumb = $this->post_thumbnail_markup( $excerpt_mode, $format );

Which tells ALL posts to process the thumbnail code, regardless of whether or not they have a featured image.

#13 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 12988 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hi svakanda, Is this issue now resolved? If so please inform me and I will set the topic to resolved.

#14 svakanda

svakanda

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yeah its resolved...it works fine. Thanks Danny.