w3 validator problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lounge

lounge

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hi, We have made a custom design using the PageLines Framework. We checked our website using the w3 validator, but there are two strange errors: Line 201, Column 156: An body start tag seen but an element of the same type was already open. ??¦p custom content-shadow responsive pagelines-template-theme alpha full_width "> ??‰ Line 201, Column 156: Cannot recover after last error. Any further errors will be ignored. ??¦p custom content-shadow responsive pagelines-template-theme alpha full_width "> How can this be solved? URL to rapport:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

It may be because of the iframes located in the fb DIV located directly below that opening body tag so that DIV may need to be removed. I thought that maybe you have two body tags for some reason, but I checked and you don't (you can't have two body tags in the same document - that's usually what that error points out).

#3 dharmaduf

dharmaduf

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.2

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

FWIW, I'm seeing the same issue, and even one more involving a "Stray end tag 'head'", when I try to validate Pagelines' HTML5 code on several of my websites. Examples:

And don't even get me started with trying to validate CSS3...

But I would like to at least see the HTML5 check out, and nothing in "view-source" seems to indicate a problem.

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

I don't know where that stray tag could be coming from. Did you also make customizations in the code?

#5 dharmaduf

dharmaduf

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

Sorry not to respond sooner Catrina, if by "code" you mean the Pagelines Framework theme files, nope. I bought Pagelines so I wouldn't have to mess with templates and all that stuff... ; ) The only thing I can think of is that something (a plugin maybe, or a script) is doing something fancy during the initial pageload that is causing the and tags to be duplicated... Which in turn is wreaking havoc on the validator. I dunno. A fresh install of Pagelines validates just fine, so it's something I'm adding or tweaking. Probably best not to lose sleep over it.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15907 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

@lounge @dharmaduf If you disable all active plug-ins and remove any custom code i.e. like HTML or iFrames etc.. do you still receive the errors ?

#7 dharmaduf

dharmaduf

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

@Danny

Thanks for prompting me... I figured out my problem at least.

It wasn't the plugins.

On the Pagelines > Settings > Custom Code page you have the option to inject scripts into either the Header ("before the end of the HTML tag") or via Asynchronous Analytics ("goes underneath body tag"). But both actually insert the code into the same place, immediately before the tag.

I was placing an anchor tag (

) into the Analytics area (thinking it would be added below the tag, and adding a corresponding link to the footer menu for quickly navigating up from the bottom.

Turns out that placing an tag in the was causing the validation error. Duh.

So three takeaways:
1) Seems like either there's a bug in Pagelines, or the description is inaccurate. The Asynchronous Analytics script area is not "underneath body tag"; it's above the tag.

2) Don't put body tags in the head area or your site won't validate.

3) At least in Chrome, when I removed the

from the script area the site validates as it should AND the link at the bottom of the page (

) works regardless. Now I have to see if it does in IE and FF... Probably not.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15907 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hi, The Asynchronous Analytics description is actually a typo and I believe that this has been fixed in an upcoming update. @lounge Did you attempt disabling any active plug-ins or removing custom code and see if this resolves your issue ?