7 replies to this topic

#1 thorstone137

thorstone137

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

Hey guys. I was hoping we could start a discussion around pagelines performance best practices. I realize the dynamics of website design and development, but was hoping that maybe we could simple share what our current setups tend to be. For example, I'm testing multisite installs on bitnami hosting on Amazon S3 (no production setups at this point) with the intention of hosting client websites. The particular niche I'm focusing on could potentially see some clients getting average steady traffic and then huge amounts of traffic in a short amount of time. Amazon offers very robust solutions, after some trial and error, I'm very confident that I will find a recipe that works. This being said, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with scaling pagelines sites. Again, I'm not particularly looking for a silver bullet, but maybe a "heads-up" or something that I might not be able to see that some of you have already faced. I would really like to see some articles in the documentation that covers some of these areas. Maybe we could get something started here that could be considered by Pagelines. Best Regards!

#2 WebWerx

WebWerx

Advocate

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Framework Version:2.2

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

@thorstone137: For what it is worth, I think you should be looking at this from a Wordpress perspective more than a PageLines (theme) perspective. I refer to your comment: "The particular niche I'm focusing on could potentially see some clients getting average steady traffic and then huge amounts of traffic in a short amount of time.".

#3 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

It makes little difference really what framework/theme your running. Site speed will depend on a few factors. 1. disk io/ SQL performance. If your on shared hosting forget it. Cheap VPS forget it. Most shared hosts and cheap VPS hosts use networked SAS storage, so mysql and your files have to be accessed accross a network which is painfully slow. 2. Image serving, if you have 50 images on a page, thats 50 HTTP requests on top of the original page. Use a CDN, maxcdn has a good deal, there are even free ones! Server setup is the one thing that can make or break heavy traffic sites. For examlpe i just tested my blog with blitz.io and it got 125 hits per second which works out about 4.5 million hits a day and thats with no caching at all, no super-cache, no object cache nothing, just nginx and php-fpm.

#4 thorstone137

thorstone137

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Thanks @WebWerx .. You're right. Like I said, I'm not really looking for a silver bullet, but a place where us pagelines users can share their experiences. I think pagelines is something more than a theme or simple framework (thematic) and presents it's own unique challenges. Among our discussions I bet someone can aggregate a nice pile of PL nuggets!

@Simon Noted! That's awesome. Thanks for sharing! Your comment is a great example of what I think is important here. Not so much as I'm going to drop what I'm doing and rebuild on Nginx, but that it builds future creative potential. Like, as soon as I can, you can bet money on me playing around with Nginx!

I've been thinking about pagelines' potential and I really feel it lies in iterative design and live user experience.

That being said, your second point on image serving

Image serving, if you have 50 images on a page, thats 50 HTTP requests on top of the original page.

(plus large .js files) goes hand in hand.

I'm starting to think we don't need any images in the design to have a great user experience. I think images might be strictly considered user generated media, be served up via a CDN, and have nothing to do with the core design of a site. Like a tv only has about 100 characters on the whole thing.

#5 thorstone137

thorstone137

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

@Simon Just checked your site! Love the design!

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17651 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

@thorstone137 One thing you need to know, Simon has a Dedicated Server with 32GB of RAM and 16cores I think, so its a bit of a beast! :D

#7 thorstone137

thorstone137

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

@Danny I'd say.. that makes sense now doesn't it :) Nice work @Simon .. So jealous!

#8 WebWerx

WebWerx

Advocate

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Framework Version:2.2

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

@Danny: And a turbo-charger...