Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to place a dropdown login box in a page

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi, I am new to pagelines but doing well to learn it. My question is, I need something like http://thefinishedbox.com/files/freebies/loginfreebie/index.html to be placed on my custom pagelines page on a certain area. I have its HTML, CSS & Jquery but don't know how to place it and where to keep the jquery code etc. I need it the help step by step. Will really appreciate it. Thanks, Farhan

18 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi Farhan, First you would need to place the Jquery code into the Settings > Custom Code > Header Scripts area. Then add the HTML to a hook and the CSS to either your child themes style.css or to the PageLines Customisation plug-ins style.css. In order to find the correct location, use the Action Map plug-in from the PageLines store.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for your response. But what are Hooks...not sure about it...and how to add them?

Posted · Report post

Using hooks is pretty easy once you try it out. To learn about them in detail, please refer to this [url="http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API"]hooks and filter[/url]s doc on WordPress.org. There are instructions, including an example filter already placed in the child themes and PageLines Customisation plug-ins functions.php file. I have added the basic instructions below. [code]// add_action('hook_name','function name'); add_action('brandnav_after_brand', 'add_icons_to_branding'); // function name function add_icons_to_branding(){ // what the function does ?>[/code]

Posted · Report post

I want a login box (as seen on the below image) on the top right side of the site www.trendorg.co.uk http://i.imgur.com/2SP3Z.jpg How will I put its HTMl ?...with hooks i understand we can put define functions but how to put html tags on specific location of a page.

Posted · Report post

You put the HTML inside your function, like: [code]add_action('the_hook_name', 'your_function_name'); function your_function_name() { ?>
Your html goes here

Posted · Report post

Still not sure about the placement of my html code in my pagelines website: - I have added the jquery header script in code in Settings > Custom Code > Header scripts - Added its CSS in pagelines-customize/style.css - Now how and where should I add this html code: ----------------------
Login
Forgot your password?
---------------- Please guide me step by step.

Posted · Report post

Everything you have after "" and before "" goes where simple_mama said "Your html goes here" Make sure you have a specific div created just as simple_mama pointed out in "
" so that specific CSS may be applied to it.

Posted · Report post

and where should this go? I mean which file in pagelines? add_action('the_hook_name', 'your_function_name'); function your_function_name() { ?>
Your html goes here
Your html goes here
[/b]

Posted · Report post

You really need to read the section on hooks and customization in the Docs. http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_PageLines_Customize_Plugin Okay, a hook is a piece of the actual functions code - the stuff that makes PageLines work. Thus, it's part of a PHP script, therefore, to enable the hook, which is outside the PHP script, you have to end the PHP function, then, when the hook is finished, restart PHP functions so the rest of the site can proceed. If not, the site will break. Most people who make errors with hooks do so with this issue. You need to know the hook name you're going to use. To find that, you need the Action Map plugin which shows you where things go. Here's a list of possible hooks: http://api.pagelines.com/hooks/ Essentially your_hook_name is the hook you're going to use. If you're totally uncomfortable with this, I'd strongly suggest you seek a quote from one of our Pros via http://www.pagelines.com/pros. Hooks are not difficult, but it's not advisable to attempt them without reading the documentation thoroughly. After all, you wouldn't want your surgeon performing an appendectomy after watching an episode of E.R. You'd kinda hope he's studied it.

Posted · Report post

Thanks...worked fine now...but suddenly I figured out one issue, that my [b]quickslider[/b] is not working on the page when I insert the following line in [b]headerscript section [/b] when I remove the script initialization from the headerscript, the quickslider banner works again. But my login box doesn't works. Please let me know what's wrong. Thanks, Farhan

Posted · Report post

Try moving the script to the function itself, like below the . Note: I have not tested this. Try at your own risk. ;)

Posted · Report post

still didn't work...maybe quickslider is conflicting somewhere.

Posted · Report post

The quickslider is using a different jQuery and it's possible the two conflict with each other.

Posted · Report post

I removed my jQuery (for login box) from the headerscript section and the banner arrives back but the login box doesn't works. what's the solution, so both start working.

Posted · Report post

basically login box = Click to call back box.

Posted · Report post

Hi Graham, I think the best course of action would be for you to contact one of the PageLines Pros and see if they can assist you. http://www.pagelines.com/pros/

Posted · Report post

well I am low on budget and cannot pay the Pros for support. Please let me know in which file the Quickslider's jquery script declaration is done? as we do in headerscript section.

Posted · Report post

If you like in the plugin folder for Quickslider using an FTP client, there should be js files for the plugin, however caution must be taken in making modifications.