• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 17sirens

17sirens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:45 AM

I've search for this answer in the forum, and I haven't been able to find the right one for me.

How can I add links above my banner in such a way that they are against the transparency of my background (light tan color) and *not* against the white content box that includes my banner.

I'd like the links to be in the upper right hand corner for: home, about, contact

Thanks in advance for your help!
Here's my blog:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

Where is this light tan colored background coming from? Is it coming from the banner or will it be apart of the element where the links are also located (for example, a DIV layer that you're adding using a hook)?

#3 17sirens

17sirens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

Hi Catrina,
The background I'm referring to is the background of the entire site.
Here's what I want it to look like:

Posted Image

Where the links are onto of the branding container, and against the background.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Hi, I think the best course of action would be to use the Action Map plug-in to find the correct location and then add a hook to your child themes function.php file or PageLines Customisation plug-in function.php file.

#5 17sirens

17sirens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

Hi Danny, I used the Action Map Plug-in and found the location: pagelines_before_header However, when I tried to add a hook to my function.php file, I broke my entire site. And then I had to re-upload the functions.php file through my hosting site... it was a mess. I'm not sure what to do now.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hi, Can you post the code you used please, so I can take a closer look!

#7 17sirens

17sirens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

I am not good with hooks, etc.. so I found this code in another thread in the forum: add_action('pagelines_before_header', 'custom_top_nav'); function custom_top_nav(){ ?> <div class="top-nav" class="fix"> <?php wp_nav_menu( array('menu' => 'Top Nav' )); ?> </div> <?php } I added that to my functions.php folder and then I added a Top Nav menu.. and then my site broke. So that's as far as I got with that.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hi, I added your code to a test site and it worked perfectly ?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

The menu items look like this they do as there is no styling for them. Are you still having issues ?

#9 17sirens

17sirens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

That's really weird. I'm guessing since it worked for you, that maybe I put the code in the wrong section. I put it here: Dashboard>Appearance>Editor>Base Theme: Theme Functions (functions.php) (at the bottom). Is that where the code goes?

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

I'd recommend using the PageLines Customize plugin and adding the code to the end of the functions.php found there. The plugin is free and is installed in wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize/.