Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Using images with rollover effect in custom menu

Question

Posted · Report post

Have been searching for a plugin or a way to: 1. Use custom images for each menu item 2. To have a rollover effect How can this be done? Thanks! David

9 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I don't think there is a plugin, but there is a way with custom CSS. One of the things you'll need is Firebug, which you can get here for free: getfirebug.com. You will also need to follow the instructions here for using Firebug to create CSS customizations: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/Custom_CSS#How_to_use_CSS_Inspection_Tools. Lastly, you'll need to here for tutorials on how to the CSS attributes that will create the effect you're looking for: http://w3schools.com/css/default.asp (specifically these items on the left side: Styling Links, CSS Background, and possibly CSS Padding).

Posted · Report post

Thanks I'll give this a try. Currently I have used "Custom Links" to put this code into the label area: sample image You can see the results here: http://www.boxershortstogo.com I did this for each menu item and the images load. When I had only one item in the menu the "rollover" effect worked. Once I put a second menu item into the menu the rollover stopped working. Would like to see if I can get the above method to work but also would like to know if it's not a good approach too. David

Posted · Report post

HTML code can't be put in the "Label" area or any other text field in the Custom Menus settings page (only text).

Posted · Report post

Hi, I changed my code to this: sample image and the rollover are now working!

Posted · Report post

Interesting, I thought labels only accepted text. Oh well. If your issue is resolved, please accept an answer.

Posted · Report post

If you click on "Screen Options" in the custom menu area you'll get this: "Show on screen Theme Locations Custom Links Posts Pages Categories Tags Banner Sets Feature Sets Box Sets [code]Show advanced menu properties Link Target CSS Classes Link Relationship (XFN) Description"[/code] You can then put html into the custom menus "Label" area and put the "destination link" above that.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for pointing it out. I always forget about Screen Options! I'll accept your answer.

Posted · Report post

One last question: when I look at the new menu created above in Chrome & Firefox it looks fine. When I look at it in Internet Explorer it is very large and the menu doesn't fit on one line but expands to two very ugly lines. I have checked "IE compatibility script" but this isn't doing the trick. Any ideas?! Thanks

Posted · Report post

Catrina, Do you know what ONFOCUS and ONBLUR do?