6 replies to this topic

#1 gavin_launchpad

gavin_launchpad

Advocate

• Members

• 504 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hi

we are using a plugin called my review - its brilliant and allows users to rate things

it integrates into wordpress and embeds elements into your posts and pages

to be able to alter where the rating table appears with the standard wordpress comment field you need to edit the themes comment.php

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

my concern is that by editing the comment.php any changes will be overwritten by future updates

so does this go in the customise function.php? and if so how do i localise it to the comment box and change the wording of the post comment to submit button?

thanks
  • toalsonho likes this

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hi Gavin, I think the best course of action would be to contact the plug-in author and ask them for assistance. Also, is this the plug-in you're referring too ? -

If so this plug-in has not been updated since 2008, so I wouldn't recommend using it to be honest.

#3 gavin_launchpad

gavin_launchpad

Advocate

• Members

• 504 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hi Danny this is it

its about the best way to edit the comment.php of pagelines theme/framework no editing on the plugin side hence wanting to use the pagelines customise functions thingymyjig

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hi Gavin, OK well you could try this, however, this is untested! Copy the comments.php file located in PageLines folder and add this to your customisation plug-in folder (again this may not work) and then add your code there. Also, you may want to check the Comments section and see if you can add your code there instead. Do the same as above copy the folder/files of the comments section but add this folder to the PageLines Section folder in wp-content/plugins/

#5 gavin_launchpad

gavin_launchpad

Advocate

• Members

• 504 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

HI Danny

i take we can't use the PageLines Customize functions.php then :(

the comments section is here /wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections/comments
could we edit the section.php in this folder? would it be overwritten by future updates?

i found this on the section.php

// Important! Comments.php must be in theme root to work properly. Also 'comments_template() function must be used. Its a wordpress thing.

when you say "add this to your customisation plug-in folder" do you mean this:
/wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize ?

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Gavin, Yes, Danny did mean /wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize but as he pointed out, this is untested. I'm not particularly convinced this is going to work as he suggested. Additionally, I think this level of customization is going to require one of our pros. Here's why... as you point out, the comments.php must be in the core files of the theme but we're not supposed to edit those (they'll be over-written with each update anyway). What's needed here is a custom integration that pulls the comments.php into another, unique file located in the pagelines-customize folder, and then implements the php code from MyReview. That's not going to be functions.php to my knowledge. Just a personal observation... I think having the rating below the comments rather than above will result in few visitors actually using it. People tend not to go that far unless they're part of a community. Either above or below though, the customization is something that has to be handled by a pro with actual development expertise in PageLines Framework. Danny and I would love to help but these customizations are outside the scope of forum support. Please visit

and write to the Pros found there, referencing this topic and explaining your goals.

#7 gavin_launchpad

gavin_launchpad

Advocate

• Members

• 504 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Ok Thanks Rangelone we actually want the box above as you suggest.