• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 oinegue1960

oinegue1960

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.5

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

The basic concept of the homepage is to have a brandnav at the top. (with a customized size main-logo) After a text area to left and a slideshow area to the right. Then a standard footer with a simplenav at the bottom. Where I would need some more secondary element (let say a generic object like a box or similar one) I'll place it in a further step. Thank you.

#22 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

@oinegue1960 I'm glad you like my plugin - thanks for the compliments! :) Have you tried creating a custom template for your site (in Templates)? You should be able to get the layout you want. If you have elements in the header and footer that shouldn't show in other pages, you can simply "hide" them in those other pages. Also, the specific CSS for that page is page-id-494 in case you need that. Just put a . in front of it and add your CSS after. :)

#23 oinegue1960

oinegue1960

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hi Jenny, first of all I need to say I'm getting a lot of difficulty to access either to Pagelines. com or to forum... it seems extremely slow like an overloaded server. It would not be a dns problem as I tried to access also by anonymouse and it's slow as well. So where you would see an expected 'silence' from me probably I cannot access. Said that, yes Jenny I'm trying creating a custom template and have to say it's not difficult at all as that's the main 'magic' of Pagelines.... just 'drag n' drop'!....isn't it like a 'magic'? :) What results a bit difficult for me is establish the right use of each section... what element could better 'match' my need. (and don't forget I have to workaround by a language that's not mine... expecially where several terms are in Pagelines 'slang'..;) Going straight to the topic of this thread my odd is to customize the header which settings will apply to all pages... so where I'd need to use a different 'main-logo' I have to do it exclusively by CSS, not by 'drag n'drop'. Though I'm not a coder at all I'm not discouraged by that because I will improve my modest user experience.... it only takes me a lot of time to find the solution which could fit my need. And what I'll find not always is 'the best' way to do something. Of course the helpful support of this Forum is great so my 'building' is growing. Now I'm working around on how to 'split' the area after the header in order to have 'text to the left and slider to the right. That's not 'drag n'drop so Firebug and CSS are my best friends...:)

#24 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

When you say "text to the left" what kind of text content are looking to add? Do you want it to be in a column? A sidebar?

#25 oinegue1960

oinegue1960

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi Catrina, thank you for giving me one more chance to explain what I'm trying to do. I'm sorry for my very basic english. Let's start from the 'text content' and then I'll switch to the 'imaging' tool. The text of the landing page is very important either for visitors or for SEO. In few lines it will explain the website 'topic'. Its editing would result 'impressive' by the 'graphic' and by the speech. It would say 'who we are', our 'proud' offer and the warmest 'welcome' to the visitor. That's the kind of text content I'm looking to add the left area after the branding. I guess it could be in a left column wide like half part of the page, and approximatively the heigth would be around 400px. Beside that (in the empty right half part of the page) I would like to add a slider showcasing images of the 'on street' location. Consequently the slider area size would be similar to the text area: approximatively same width and of course same height. Believe me I tried for hours and hours overnight to tweak the child CSS in order to place a text area to the left and a slider to the right at the same high but no way: one push down the other because both elements are full-width, even if I set one to 'float left' and the other to 'float right'. I unsuccesfully used sections like features, banners, content box, quickslider, boxes. I'm not particularly frustrated by such failure because I well know I'm not a coder and I'm trying to do my modest best. Let's say... the final layout of what I'm trying to do is not so far to the 'concept' of brandnav: 2 different objects in the same section, at the same height, sharing the width. Thanks.

#26 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15120 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi, Do you mean something like this ?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#27 oinegue1960

oinegue1960

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Yes Danny, something like that. Thank you.

#28 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Hi @oinegue1960. I'm not sure what @Danny used (his graphic is great!) but he may have put something like the "content box" with the feature slider. Then you could use CSS and float:left the content box and float:right the feature.

#29 oinegue1960

oinegue1960

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hi Jenny. I already tried to float both and they correctly moved to opposite sides but as I wrote the upper push down the lower as both are 'full-width'. Of course it's possible I wrong the script... or I customized the wrong CSS item... unfortunately I'm very 'green' on CSSing.

#30 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

What CSS code do you have?

#31 oinegue1960

oinegue1960

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Catrina,

do you like to see me as... 'naked'? ;)
I know that it's like to the 'doctor visit' here... but I'm a bit 'ashamed' to show my horrible codes... please don't be 'rude'.

#32 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

To bring the left content area up so that it's lined up with your feature, you may need to play around with the top margin property in the CSS by using a negative value since the default margin value is 0px (for reference:

).

#33 oinegue1960

oinegue1960

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Thanks Catrina. As you can see I worked around the default values of several items, and I'm not sure if I did it properly. What are the correct CSS items I would to play around and I what I would have to restore to default values?

#34 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

This is the CSS you'd need to play around with to move the content box around:

#35 oinegue1960

oinegue1960

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Thank you Catrina,
by your useful help I have the layout I desire now.
As you wrote the 'trick' is to give a negative value to 'margin-top'.
That way both elements will stay on the same line at opposite sides. (need to reduce both width to 50%)
For other users this is the CSS code:

#36 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

You're welcome :)