#1 bluesquirrel

bluesquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I'm having trouble getting bullet points to work inside a box for a quick temporary page that I need to get up. The only previous reference I could find to this problem was from last year but it didn't seem to explain why simple bullet points just won't work.

Is this something that the developers are aware of or is it an intentional feature/consequence of something obvious that I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance, Andrew

#2 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

Hi Andrew. I don't see any bullets (even hidden) in any of the boxes on your site. Since it isn't live at the moment, you will need to use FireBug (

) to figure out which CSS element is doing a list-style-type:none and change it to disc (or whatever you want) by adding it to your custom CSS.

#3 bluesquirrel

bluesquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

Hi Jenny, Thanks for your reply, the site definitely is live, no maintenance mode is in place either - I even use another browser (IE) to make sure that I'm not logged into the site. It should be displaying a lot of text and looking like this

at

Thanks for the Firebug tip, I'll certainly take a look.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

Hi, Yes, your site's live and it does have text in it. You're quite right. It may have been a temporary glitch Jenny experienced. A little background on boxes. Normally, boxes handle text, as opposed to structured text. By default, things like ordered and unordered lists are not applied to boxes, but that only means they need customization. In essence, the lists need to be wrapped in a unique div, then CSS applied to select the styling of the bullet (or number). Personally, I use Boxer plugin to get the effect found here:

(scroll down to dual columns of boxes starting with Recipes.

That effect on my site is via an RSS feed. Jenny's correct that to achieve the bullets inside the box, you need to just style the CSS and your bullets will show.

#5 bluesquirrel

bluesquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

Thanks Rangelone, that indepth explanation really helped clear things up in my mind.

I doubt it was Jenny, it was more likely me clicking around like an oafish buffoon!

Well I'm learning a lot tonight having gone from never using Firebug, to becoming infuriated with it, to finding the "Click To Inspect" option and then clicking through my site to see what's under the bonnet - it really is a fantastic tool, thanks again.

Having clicked on some text that should be in a bullet point I see from Firebug:

I've tried adding to the Custom Code

but without any luck. I think I might be missing a fundamental point of CSS here but I'm thoroughly enjoying this steep learning curve.

PS. Forgive me if you see stupid things appearing in my Custom Code, I'm really trying to hammer this out!

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

No worries. Can you link me to your page (make it live but unlinked). Also, Firebug takes a little time to learn (a few days max) but it's a great tool. You can actually test with it, live by editing the CSS in the right column. If you can give me that link and a little more of your generous patience I'll happily try to get you a resolution.

#7 bluesquirrel

bluesquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

Thanks Rangelone - I'm not scared to hack at things and poke about until I learn. The site is live as the subject matter is actually on TV to an audience of about 6million people on BBC television in 9 hours :P [Mine is an enthusiast site, there is no official one]

It is you who is being generous with your time and for that I am truly grateful.

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

Try adding this code instead:

#9 bluesquirrel

bluesquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

Sorry Catrina I'm afraid it's not made any difference. I deleted my garbage and put that in but no luck :( Thanks anyway

#10 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

I just inspected your site's code and came up with something more specific:

Can you please try this?

#11 bluesquirrel

bluesquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

Sorry Cartina, no luck again. I really appreciate your efforts - it looks as though I was kind of on the right track but with no joy either.

The exact contents of my Custom Code at the moment is:

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17618 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

Hi BlueSquirrel,

You basically have no margin-left, adding it will show the bullets.

#13 bluesquirrel

bluesquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Danny - fantastic! Thank you! Thank you to everyone who has helped with this today, I really appreciate the help and have learnt a lot. I hope that those stumbling across this thread in the search find it useful too.