• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 julianasohn

julianasohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

hello there, would like some help adding a link to my text widget on my primary sidebar. my text is "MY WEBSITE" and the url is

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

i found a few similar questions in the past, but i think my css skills are too poor to be able to adapt any of them for my situation! thank you. j

#2 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

This tutorial should help:

#3 gyoery

gyoery

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

To add to the knowledge here, CSS is used for styling your content (

). What you needed was an HTML fix (

). ;)

#5 gyoery

gyoery

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

btw. I really love your design...

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16982 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hi J, Are the suggestions above helpful or do you require further assistance ?

#7 julianasohn

julianasohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

thank you both. the tutorial is a very handy guide. i signed up for a css class. maybe i'll learn something! i cut and past the code provided by gyoery to my css and it didn't do anything. was that the correct place to paste it? i also tried changing the "My Page" to "my web site" since that is the exact wording of my text widget, which also did nothing. suggestions?

#8 julianasohn

julianasohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

sorry, didn't see the more recent comments. it seems i must have put the code in the wrong place?? since it's html not css? yikes, i know less than i thought i did! thanks for the compliment on the design!

#9 gyoery

gyoery

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

you have to put it in the text widget... you can later style it with css if you want. CSS is only for styling elements, text, pictures, divs, ...

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

@julianasohn, if you take the link gyoery provided and included it in a text widget, it should work, but you'll need to customize it to the link and label you want. That said, you can also use Wordpress' built in links system, which allows you to create link sets and links to that set (a set is a group). In Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets, you'll find a widget called Links. You can simply drag that over to the sidebar where you want the link. Inside the widget, you select the link set. This requires no coding, no HTML. Just copy, paste, drag and drop.

#11 julianasohn

julianasohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

hi everyone. i just figured it out! thank you all for the help. and rangelone. i will keep that in mind for the future. maybe once i have a better grasp of what a set and a group is. thanks again! j

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

Just to help you and be perhaps more clear. Go to Dashboard > Links > Links Categories. You should see something there called BlogRoll. On that settings page under Name, let's create a new set of links called "My Site". All you need to do is type in that name in the Name field then scroll down to "Add New Link Category" at the bottom. Don't worry about the slug, it's created automatically for you. Once you've done that, you'll see the new Link Category on the list on the right side. Now lets go to Dashboard > Links > Add New. Here, you'll type in a name for the link. Let's call this.. "My New Website" (without the quotes, of course). In the next line, we'll type the actual URL, complete...

(editing that to the real link). You may optionally add a description which is helpful to handicapped people who use tools to read sites. On mouseover, this creates a little popup that shows the description. Below, you'll find the category options including the one we just created a bit ago. Check that one. Set the target to _none (for your own sites) or _blank for URLs other than yours (to keep your visitors on your own site). The _blank option opens a new tab or window. Scroll down and select the link relationship. You can add an image if you wish in the Advanced settings. Basically, just save it then by scrolling up and on the right, clicking Add Link. Now if you go to Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets, you'll see an option for "Links" with the subtitle "Your blogroll". Drag that over to a sidebar. Select the category we created from the drop list and other options. Save it. Now go look at your site and you'll see that category on the sidebar, labeled with the name of the category we created earlier and with the link(s) in that category. If you have ten categories each with a bunch of links, you can add them all separately or grouped together based on how you select the categories. I know that's a long explanation. Sorry for that. But it's much easier than coding in the long run.

#13 julianasohn

julianasohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

wow! what a thorough explanation, one even i can follow! greatly appreciated. i went to "my blog roll" initially and couldn't figure out how to customize it/wasn't sure you could and moved on. this will come in handy for future reference. thank you so much!