Photo
- - - - -

subfolder home going to "Direct Previewing of "Special Post Types" Not Available... Yet"

Best Answer antonella , 31 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thanks so much for keeping at this with me!

When I create a wordpress site, I like to keep the files in it's own folder and then copy the index.php and .htaccess to the root folder to point to it. I follow the instructions here: http://codex.wordpre..._Own_Directory. I've created about 15 or more sites this way, and never had this problem.

I've posted a screenshot of the /site folder here.

I did disable the feature slider and yes, problem still persists. :( Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 antonella

antonella

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hello,
I always place give my wordpress files it's own subfolder called something like /site. Then I pull the index.php and .htacess files into the root and point the index.php to the subfolder. I've never had a problem with this (on platform it worked fine).

For the first time I have created a site in Pagelines. And now, whenever I type in

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

, it goes to this page:

Why is this happening? I need to get this fixed because for some reason, our pages in google search are showing as earlymusicbesalu.com/site/contact, etc.

I have tried resetting the permalinks, the .htaccess files, I've installed All-in-One SEO to see if it was a canonical URL issue, but I don't know what else to do.

Thanks.

#2 gyoery

gyoery

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

You are using a feature called "site-header-feature". In the wp settings under permalinks this option enabled: Post name:

It tries to resolve your adress, like it does with other adresses as well, and the closest it finds is the feature named "site-...." Try changing the WP options, and the feature name.

#3 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the input @gyoery! Let us know how this works out for you @antonella.

#4 antonella

antonella

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the tip. However, I can't find where this option is. Can someone please guide me through it? Is it in the Pagelines dashboard, settings? Thanks.

#5 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Yes. It's a WordPress default setting on the left of your Dashboard: Settings > Permalinks.

#6 antonella

antonella

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

I still don't understand this. I don't see anything about the site-header-feature. I have the custom structure set up as /%postname%/ but it keeps getting saved as just /%postname%/. I've tried setting to other types (for example, month/name) but I'm still getting the same errors. What am I supposed to be looking for exactly?

#7 antonella

antonella

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

This is also weird because I haven't done anything different from my other sites (that I'm aware of) so I don't understand why it's not working on this one in particular.

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Do you have WordPress installed in your base html folder (something like public_html or htdocs)?
The page it's resolving to is evidently a Special Post Type and thus I'm thinking it's trying to view a slide as @gyoery pointed out earlier. Check your plugins and also check the content of your slides to see if they have any links in them in the /site feature sliders.

Some servers require that you CHMOD .htaccess to 777 in order to make it writeable. I'd suggest you FTP to the /site folder, CHMOD that to 777, then update your permalinks without changing anything. Then, check to see if it worked. CHMOD the file back to 755.

If it doesn't work, it may be due to an error in wp-options or wp-config. I suspect though, the updating of permalinks with the .htaccess file writeable should work.

#9 gyoery

gyoery

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

that would have been my second guess, that wordpress (localhost) does not have permission to view the content of your .htaccess protected folder, and thus is acting this way. I had the same problem, but without .htaccess Though my link was wrong, and that's why the information got resolved badly. Also you could try changing the depth to file/file/ to avoid conflicts. 1. Make sure all your links are indeed correct. 2. Try without .htaccess 3. Try changing depth and maybe name 4. If all fails, check again if your file folder is really located in www/wordpress/file If still nothing, post back, and I'm sure the guys will have a screensharing or something like that...

#10 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

@gyoery Thanks for your additional insight.

#11 antonella

antonella

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

thanks for all your input. It helped pinpoint and clean up stuff, but I'm still getting the error. This is what I've done. 1) renamed the feature image 2) deleted the feature set I had that was site-header-feature as I wasn't using it anyway 3) went through all the links and made sure they weren't pointing to /site/etc. 4) deleted the .htaccess file and recreated them 5) tried changing the chmod on the /site folder to 777, but then I couldn't get into the admin and reset the permalinks. Set it back to 755. 6) reset the permalinks. The only area I see a problem is here: I am using WPML translation management. In the String translation there is the widget for my actual language menu found at the top of the site (English Espa?┬▒ol) which is basically a text widget in the Universal sidebar. This has the correct links. But then there's another text widget which I had created at some point and these have the bad links. However, I no longer have such a text widget anywhere -- neither in the sidebars nor in the inactive widgets. I can't find it anywhere to flush it out. This may be causing the problem. Is there anywhere I can get rid of old widgets that are hidden?

#12 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Strange. Where are you seeing this other text widget (with the bad links) on your site if it's not in the sidebar or inactive widgets area?

#13 antonella

antonella

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm seeing it in the String Translations section of WPML.

#14 gyoery

gyoery

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

you should be able to manage how google displays your site within google dev. Can you please post a scr from your file structure in the wordpress folder maybe from ur SFTP connection?

#15 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

Since this is a plugin-related issue, it would be a good idea to look into WPML support. Have you already tried looking into the WPML forum to see if anyone else has had this kind of issue before?:

If there is any insight about the issue in the String Translations section, that may shed light on the error you're getting.

#16 gyoery

gyoery

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

I dont think it is a pugin issue... have u tried disabling it?

#17 antonella

antonella

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

I do have a support issue logged in at WPML forum already. However, I did disable the plugin and the problem still exists.

I've uploaded a screenshot of the

Thanks.

#18 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

What happens when you disable the feature slider? Does the problem persist?

#19 gyoery

gyoery

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

so u actually moved your wordpress install within the folder site? I thought it was the other way round. Would be nice to see the next depth as well. But anyways, I think, your wordpress is in the site file, and your index.php redirects the user to that site? So you are actually already in the site folder when using wordpress, and unless you have another site folder in the wordpress folder (where wp-admin, etc is) then obviously you cannot find it. Maybe I am wrong, but please post the next depth of filestructure, so I can make sure.

#20 antonella

antonella

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:52 PM   Best Answer

Thanks so much for keeping at this with me!

When I create a wordpress site, I like to keep the files in it's own folder and then copy the index.php and .htaccess to the root folder to point to it. I follow the instructions here:

I've created about 15 or more sites this way, and never had this problem.

I've posted a screenshot of the

here.

I did disable the feature slider and yes, problem still persists. :(