Photo
- - - - -

JS and CSS files in the formats minified?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joseneas

joseneas

Advanced Member

• Members

• 40 posts
  • LocationSalvador - Bahia - Brazil
  • Framework Version:2.3

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hello, my name is Enoch, I live in Brazil (I confess that my English is very weak, I hope you can understand ..), I use PageLines professional version, and I admit I love the theme, it is fantastic. Now I wonder why PageLines does not offer the javascript and css files in the formats minified? I did a test with some files making them minified, and felt a greater performance on page load. Here in my region is still used very slow connections and links! Here in Europe and USA the Internet is very fast compared to Brazil, we're 10 years late! : ( Can I compress at least the theme files *. Css? I am happy to publish here, I hope you understand my text leave a response :) . Thank you!

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

Not much point, your host is already compressing the output anyway: http://www.whatsmyip...2pvcnJvLmJpei8=

#3 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hello Enoch, This minify topic has come up before here: http://www.pagelines...t-minifying/p1. It's not advisable to minify any of the CSS and JS files because it can break the site and cause problems.

#4 joseneas

joseneas

Advanced Member

• Members

• 40 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Ok! Thanks for the comment! It is true, but still have uncompressed files as: > PageLines/sections/features/script.cycle.js > PageLines/sections/features/style.css > PageLines/sections/nav/script.superfish.js > PageLines/style.css > PageLines/js/script.blocks.js I may be wrong, but when they became minified, there was a small increase in loading pages. I use HostGator, shared hosting, and some cases take the images to load, sometimes gives an error where no image appears. Anyway the theme is really fantastic.

#5 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

They are compressed, your host is using DEFLATE to compress all text files, css, js and html output: http://www.whatsmyip...2pvcnJvLmJpei8= see here. BTW renaming the theme folder may break auto upgrades. it should be pagelines not PageLines.

#6 joseneas

joseneas

Advanced Member

• Members

• 40 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Ok, thank Simon and Catrina, I realized that the changes caused errors, will return the original version, consider that I made some modifications to the test. I will not disobey the rules of PageLines. Thank you!

#7 joseneas

joseneas

Advanced Member

• Members

• 40 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Now, just to clarify a doubt .... When I changed the 'style.css' theme, the theme appeared an update is already installed version. The update is checked by the theme style.css? Therefore one should not edit it? Thanks again!

#8 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

you should not edit any files in the pagelines directory, they will be overwritten when you upgrade. If you want to customize, wither use a child theme, or use the customize plugin