Photo
- - - - -

Shouldn't Features insert easily into Content?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kywine

kywine

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Building a site from scratch, following the video tutorial PLET-1.2 I intended to insert a feature slider in my embryonic site's content area. On the video, it's a smooth single move. In reality, the feature doesn't seem to want to go into the active section and stay there. Research - did a fair amount of it, and it appears people have wanted this function and hacked their way to it in the past. After watching the above video, and the whole set, actually, I assumed the function had been added and is now easily accomplished. I paid $197 for the pro license yesterday, particularly so I wouldn't have to figure out how to cobble together a site with a feature slider using other platforms I know better. Can I insert a feature into the content area with no hacking at this point? Or did I draw the wrong conclusion from the video? Perhaps I have made an operator error somewhere else? This is my umpteenth try with PageLines, but the first time I've paid for Pro. Regretting it already, to tell you the truth. Using Mac OS X 10.6.8, Chrome (and tried Firefox)

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

The features section was designed to work in the content area after so many people requested it for PlatforPro. Heres how it looks on the template page:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 kywine

kywine

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yes, I saw that on the training video. Yet on my site, instead of "Features" sliding into place in the "Active" box and showing up when I view my site, either it (1) won't stay fixed and returns to "Inactive," or (2) if it pops into the "Active" box and I go view my site, I see a

(no default feature sliders) and then when I return to my Admin page, "Features" has moved back into "Inactive."

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Only 2 things I can think it would be, is either a browser issue ( have you tried another? Or clearing cache? ) or it could be another plugin using jquery that is causing some conflict.

#5 kywine

kywine

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

I cleared the browser cache. As a brand new site, only Akismet plugin is enabled. I have tried working in Firefox and Safari with the exact same results.

#6 gyoery

gyoery

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

Since you have no navigation I think what you are trying to achieve is adding a feature not to your content side, but to your blog-roll. If this is the case, you have to configure it not through the page meta settings, but through Pagelines > Meta > Blog Page > Features. If it is not active there, you have to go back to ur site, click on Templates > Content Area > Blog Page > and drag and drop Features above the Post-Loop. Make sure that the Content is enabled in the Page Templates > Blog area. Hope this helps... (Simon, he is trying to put it on the Blog Page, I think, not Template1 so ur scr might be confusing him.)

#7 kywine

kywine

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

Very possibly. I thought what I was trying to do was add a feature to my main (landing) page, which is currently set [at least in the WP settings] to show latest blog posts, but honestly, this Pagelines framework has defeated me before. I have lived in the world of the Thesis Theme for several years with my established site. Based on past experience, I would normally have built nav first, but as a PageLines newbie, instead I went by the video. More than likely things were already much more set up on that demo website than I realized. I'll try building some other components, then try your suggestions and see if I can get it to work.

#8 kywine

kywine

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

I set up Features as gyoery described. It does show

. When I click that button, I go back to the admin,

by

If it is not active there, you have to go back to ur site, click on Templates > Content Area > Blog Page > and drag and drop Features above the Post-Loop.
Make sure that the Content is enabled in the Page Templates > Blog area.

Though I am not familiar with PageLines special names for things, it seems like what you suggest is in place. But that "Inactive on Template" is still there. And no features sections are visible when viewing the site.

#9 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

Have you tried deactivating all active plugins?

#10 gyoery

gyoery

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:48 AM

He has no plugins, except akismet or however its called. My major guess is, that you are still not adding the feature on the right side. Please go to your website, while being logged in. In the top bar it should say something like template: blog (please confirm). Click on that, and you should get to the template setting page. There you first select content area, then the "blog page" template (not the "blog post") then u make sure that the content area is selected again:) You are in the right place when you see "blogroll" in the bottom left window. There u drag and drop the features above the blogroll. If u r here, please make a screenshot and post it here. Then it should display as active when going back to the meta settings, and on your page. If you have no secret data, send me ur password and login to gnoric at gmail.com

#11 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hi,

1. Login to your Wordpress Admin Dashboard.
2. Go to PageLines > Templates and view this

3. Once you have completed the above, go to PageLines > Meta and the Feature section should now be active and inside your content area i.e. aligned with the sidebar.

#12 kywine

kywine

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Thank you to each person who tried to help me with this at www.savoringkentuckywine.com. I abandoned it for a while, and flirted with SquareSpace for a couple of weeks. After many different approaches, turns out it's no easier there to set up the kind of site and feature slider I have in mind. So I'm back.

I have made some progress, using all the tips from above. My site actually looks worse at the moment, because I am now stuck on understanding how to size and place the feature slider, and understanding what it does, and what the Quick Slider does.

What I would like, from top down on my home page

> Navigation at top (it is)
> Site Title (it's there)
> Feature slider that shows five full width (960px) images, with "read more" links to the five latest blog posts (I only have three test posts at the moment)
> Three boxes linked to pages with 150px square (or larger) thumbs on the left of content (the boxes are sort of there; thumbs are the issue at the moment)
> Fat footer (haven't worked on this at all)

I'd like no feature slider on interior posts or pages.

The home page look would be similar to

. I didn't use that because I couldn't tell whether the slider worked as I would like, and I feared I'd be unable to change some of the header design easily.

Or, in my dreams, this:

I am continuing to try to figure this out on my own. I would welcome, appreciate, and cherish any guidance.

Particular questions:

Is there a step-by-step guide for using the feature slider? I have missed it if so. I mean, do I first build posts, including images at the right size-- and what is that size? -- and then....I don't know. How do I have both a full width image (960), which might be image plus text, I know, and then the link leads to a post with a 620px image? How to make the images the same? How to make them different?

Is there a way, easily, have the feature slider always include the five latest posts, or does everything have to be done manually to insert a new post and remove an old one?

Re Quick Slider, I thought it was to insert a slideshow into a particular blog post, but I see I'm wrong about that. How does it differ from feature slider?

I wish I understood the special PageLines language better, so my questions might be clearer, but I will be happy to explain further if that will help.

#13 gyoery

gyoery

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

You should start a new topic, as this is already accepted and it is less likely to be answered. The right image size is dependent on the size of the feature slider. If you have it next to the sidebar, you can use fullwidth-sidebar=image size. If it is above, just use the width of your page. The Quickslider is basically a featureslider light, since you have less options to configure it. About the inclusion of Post images, you should start a new thread, since I have no idea how/if it can be achieved. About step-by-step: 1. Pagelines Templates > Add the feature slider to the templates you want to display them on. 2. Create a set of features you want to use on a page. Give them all the same category. 3. Create a page > go down to Metadata > Select Features > Configure which features to use on that page (and other options) 3b. If you want it on your blogpage: go to Pagelines > Meta > Blog > Features > and configure it there. 4. (optional) Use CSS to style it the way you want, remove borders, margins, make it round, etc. PS: to your first post: I payed 400, and in my spare time (which admittedly is alot) I come here to help you guys.. + if you don't like it you can return it within 30 days... no need for regret