• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 marcusjkw

marcusjkw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

I'm not sure what's happened here, but my footer is displaying as a column instead of a row. Any ideas how to resolve this?
  • assomibatrifs likes this

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Try this: Go to Dashboard > PageLines > Settings > Header And Footer and there, check to see how many columns you have the footer set to. It could have been accidentally adjusted to 1 column. Make sure it's 5 (as you have 5 widgets in there). It that's not the case, try this: Move all the widgets from the footer area to a different sidebar for a moment or two. Leave the footer empty. Then, return two of them back to the footer and see if they're side-by-side. If they are, keep going, checking after each is restored. If it still doesn't work: Check your plugins to make sure none of them are outdated or reported broken.

#3 marcusjkw

marcusjkw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Thankyou. I can't find Dashboard > Pagelines, the only place I can see to alter the footer is in the iblog pro theme options, but i can't see where to specify how many columns there are, only the ability to turn 3 widgetised columns on and off. I've turned the widgetised footer columns off, but it hasn't made any difference. I have had an issue with a keyword cloud plugin, but I've replaced that and still no change. I did mess with footer.php once for some forgotten reason, but i wouldn't know how to spot errors in the code

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:17 AM

Ah, you must be using iBlogPro4 instead of the PageLines Framework. Can you try to deactivate all active plugins (including the one that you used to replace the keyword cloud plugin)? Also, would it be possible to post the code you changed in the footer.php file? (It's not advisable to change any core files since any edits you make to the theme will be overwritten by theme updates.)

#5 marcusjkw

marcusjkw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hi, yes, I am on iBlogPro4. I've deactivated all plugins. Before I read your post I replaced the footer.php with the original.

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

What kind of edits did you make? What adjustments were you trying to make in that footer.php file before you replaced it with the original?

#7 marcusjkw

marcusjkw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

I think I probably was trying to bob a bit of code I'd picked up to try and embed a video, it might not even have been in the footer.

#8 marcusjkw

marcusjkw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'm not sure why I have the two images showing in the middle of the three widgetised columns above the footer, they were there previously, but are not in the widget in admin now, and they were't mixed up with that text either

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15163 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

Hi, It is not recommend you make any changes to any of the core files for the reasons you have above. After reviewing your website, I noticed that you're using iBlogPro 4.2.5 the latest version is 4.2.6. I recommend you back up your settings and your custom CSS apart from anything associated to your footer. Once you have backed up, perform the update. Regarding your Footer being in a column rather than a row, I recommend you remove any custom CSS you have added regarding the footer. The Footer cols CSS width is set too wide and thats what causing the issue.

#10 marcusjkw

marcusjkw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

okay, thanks, I'll (try and ) do what you say.

#11 marcusjkw

marcusjkw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

i haven't customised css at all

#12 marcusjkw

marcusjkw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

in installed iblog pro 4 under a new name and switched to it and it all seems sorted now. Thanks very much everyone for their help.

#13 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Hi, looking at your source code, I see that the site files are located in http://marcuswhitehe...s/iblogpro_new/ You can't change the folder name with any PageLines products. They're hard coded to work in the folders you found within the zip file. Changing the folder names is both unsupported and will cause unknown problems. It may be the cause of this issue. I'd strongly suggest changing the folder name back to its original from /iblogpro_new/.

#14 marcusjkw

marcusjkw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hi, belated reply to One Smart Egg...

I see the 'iblogpro_new' folder in my wp-content folder. I think I was following this information when I put that there.

Is this the active installation of iblogpro that I'm using? Shouldn't it be in the themes folder? Is it safe to rename or move it? Or delete the other in the themes folder?

Thanks, everything seems to running smoothly, but i would like to tidy this up if i can.

#15 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

The instructions in that PDF were from a time when WordPress didn't do as much file security and file management as it does today, so it's a bit outdated.  Its purpose was to force deactivation of the old version when upgrading to a new one.  This allowed WordPress to see no conflicts with a new version you'd upload in activating in Step 3.

The active version will be in the wp-content/themes folder. 

So, since you have the renamed folder and we know it's been deactivated, yes, you may delete it, but I recommend downloading it first via FTP.  If everything works perfectly (as I suspect it will), then delete it from your local computer.

I'd strongly recommend, however, an upgrade to PageLines Framework.  As WordPress evolves, and iBlogPro4 remains a fixed entity, there's an ever increasing probability that iBlogPro4 will simply stop working, rather like a deprecated plugin.  The investment in Framework would avoid such an event.  I'm sure you'd prefer to avoid problems like that. 

#16 marcusjkw

marcusjkw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thanks v much. I've deleted that folder. I will be updating to a current framework soon.

Someone suggested a theme called catalyst.

Or perhaps if I stick with Pagelines, I'll be at least working with something I have experience with.

At least I know that pagelines help always seems to be at hand!

I suppose I need to make a decision before iblogpro 'stops working'. I'm a bit annoyed about that, but hey-ho. Thanks for your help.

#17 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Marcus, I promise you, it wasn't our plan to make version 4 run out of steam.  I suspect that the growth of WordPress is pushing this where no-one ever expected it to go.

I'm pretty sure though, that you'll be incredibly pleased with PageLines and the support we provide for Framework. I run my own sites on it and they're now so much easier to run, design, layout, and organize than ever before.  Even the most complex things can be simply resolved. That's why I became a client, and later joined the team.

Hope this helps!