Photo
- - - - -

Thumbnails in Carousel using Nextgen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 stano7

stano7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Thought I would start another more specific post... I have scoured the internet looking for a solution to this without success: Forgive my lameness with php. I am using the Carousel at the bottom of this page.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

All I want to do is to be able to click on the thumbnail and goto a specific URL. I assumed this would be elementary. Not so. I have tried the solution provided by Kim Woodbridge

and this solution:

All I want to do is use the Carousel to list images of sponsors and link to other sites. Is there another solution for this? Thanks

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

We've recently discovered that the NextGen source for carousel images may have some conflicts which we're currently investigating. I don't believe it's a good idea to expect results with the NextGen option. Can you achieve your goals without NextGen?

#3 stano7

stano7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

If there is another way to use the carousel to show images and then on click go to a URL? That is all I want to do. If you know another solution, please let me know. Thank You

#4 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

You can use the post category option, or even all posts. You need to have a "featured image" for each post in order for the thumbnails to show. This method works perfectly. :)

#5 stano7

stano7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

OK, I'll try that. But is the meantime...I've been trying to solve using Nextgen in the Carousel with Jeff Meadows' solution:

After contacting him, he suggested this: "Find where the template designer has put the shortcode. Looking at your site I'd guess that it's in the footer. Look for footer.php in your theme folder. The code you're looking for will be something like this: . Change it to . This won't work unless you've made the gallery-link.php file. " I've looked for this code in the Footer section and noticed no code but only commands for hooks. I'm assuming that is what Pagelines does is place hooks into the sections with their own functionality? Looking at the functions.php I didn't see anywhere obvious to place the code that Jeff suggested. Am I on the right track? Where would I place ? Thanks

#6 stano7

stano7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

simple_mama, I don't think your solution would work because the links are directed to external URL's, NOT pages or post.

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16289 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

Hi, This issue is related to PageLines products, I recommend you contact the author of Nextgen Gallery Alex Rabe

#8 stano7

stano7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

My question is related to how the sections handle custom code. It this specific case it concerns the Carousel that is in the footer section. Please read my question again. Thanks for your insight.

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Stano7, you're request is to customize core code, and to create a unique customization which we don't directly support in the forum. Danny is correct that you should contact the NextGen developer. Our carousel doesn't have any options or support to open lightboxes. That would be a custom coding project and would require either the assistance of the code's developer OR one of our Pros found at

They'd probably be able to assist you further. I apologize. This topic is really about guiding people to the resources for customization, not to actually offer that in the forum setting. Additionally, it's inadvisable to edit core files as that will likely break your site and would also be overwritten with future updates.

#10 stano7

stano7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

Ok, Thanks for that insight. Let me ask this again then... Is there an solution to use the Carousel to show thumbnail images and then on click of those images, go to an EXTERNAL URL link.

#11 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

There isn't a solution in the settings, so it would require a customization that can be done by a professional designer.

#12 gftservices

gftservices

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Hey @stano7 I've got an idea for a *possible* work around for you. 1. Set up your posts with featured images, but don't include any text. 2. Assign all the posts to a specific category - like 'sponsors' 3. Set the Posts themselves (ie links to them whenever clicked active a link instead of going to the post) to be re-directed to your external URLs (and be sure to include the target="Blank"attribute in the links so they open in a new window/tab rather than reload on your current page taking people away from your site. You can hand code the links in the post titles (from memory I did find a way far less complicated solution than this:

), OR, IDEALLY, you'd use the ready made plugin solution (!):

:) Hope this helps. Of course, haven't tried it, and only discovered your post while looking for hints to solve my own problems with the carousel section;) lol So no guarantees... Chris

#13 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

I think if you were to try the workaround provided by gftservices, it'd be best to use the ready-made plugin solution for linking the post titles to where you want (rather than hardcoding them). I checked the plugin and indeed it does allow you to change post link to any URL you want, but then the problem is, you may or may not want to actually change those post URLs to specific links (you might just want them to stay as post URLs).

#14 gokayak1

gokayak1

Advanced Member

• Members

• 77 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

Here is the workaround I am using for how to create external image links in the Carousel. Example at (

which will soon be

). I use this to create external links to the sponsor's site inside of the Carousel.

(Dear lovely Pagelines, I would love to see Carousel act as an image gallery that you could add individual images to and then simply add a link. It seems like it would not be that hard. This has been a very frustrating issue for me - wasting a couple of days trying to make the NextGen Gallery solution work.)

To make an image in the Carousel act as an external link I:

1. In Pagelines>Meta Settings>Carousel. Set the "Carousel Image/Link Mode" to "Post Thumbnails" and set "Posts Mode - Select Post Category" to the category I am using for the images - in this case it is Sponsors.

2. Create the images using the exact size I want the thumbnails to be in the carousel.

3. Install the Quick Page Post Redirect Plugin by Don Fischer.

4. Create a new post. Set the category. In this case "Sponsors".

5. Add your image as the Featured Image.

6. Below the edit area on the post is the Quick Page Post Redirect area. Enter your settings.
Posted Image

That should make your carousel use the featured image and create an external link as the post redirects automatically to the external page. No messing with the files or code required!

#15 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for that insight. I'm sure it will be very helpful to others!

#16 rarpia

rarpia

• Members

• 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

How do you hide the posts though? Since my website also has a blog I don't want those posts showing anywhere. Thanks!

#17 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16289 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

@stano7 This isn't possible with out of the box with the PageLines Carousel section, as it wasn't intended to be use this way. Therefore I recommend you try the suggestions by @gftservices or @gokayak1 @rarpia I am not quite sure what you're referring to, can you please not hijack posts and create your topic, then we will gladly assist you.

#18 gokayak1

gokayak1

Advanced Member

• Members

• 77 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

You can add the posts to their own category and not have that in your navigation. You may also be able to select to make them "private" when publishing them instead of public. I haven't done that but it should work also.

How do you hide the posts though? Since my website also has a blog I don't want those posts showing anywhere. Thanks!