• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hello, I've been having trouble with my recent posts css. I try to resize the text box so that they don't over lap each other. The box resizes but the text doesn't resize with the box. I'm guessing i'm using the wrong selector. My site is: ironandwoodside.com Thanks!

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

I see you're using Special Recent Posts in a box. To do this with the posts side by side, you need to put the code into 3 boxes (for 3 columns) and use the shortcode's options to offset each or use categories. CSS will make the posts show side by side, but the excerpts and titles will overlap and not wrap. There's a post offset option in the instructions for the plugin. So, if you have Box 1, you add the code for 1 post. Then, in Box 2, you repeat, but add the offset for 1 post, so it shows the 2nd post. In Box 3, you offset by 2 posts showing the 3rd most recent post.

#3 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

I have the posts separated into 3 boxes and I put in the code to offset already. Now I'm trying to figure out how to wrap my text in the box. If you take a look at my homepage now you will see how I resized the recent post boxes but the text doesn't conform. This is the css I used.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#4 Jenny

Jenny

Owned by PageLines

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2917 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

I haven't used SRP personally but reading the plugin help files, have you added this to your shortcode (with your selection of course):

#5 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

yes, i have it set to 100 characters, and it does just that, cuts off after 100 words. I'm talking about the box, when I have it set to 200px, like I do now, it cuts off that excerpt after 200px. Therefore, the excerpt is cut short and the [...] is not visible anymore. For example: Original box: I like the Pagelines Framework. It allows me to compose websites with ease [...] ***This overlaps and makes my recent post section look messy*** What I want: I like the Pagelines Framework. It allows me to compose websites with ease [...] What is happening: I like the Pagelines Framework. *** Cuts off my excerpt*** Let me know if you need me to clarify, I know it's confusing.

#6 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Sorry, first sentence should read. **yes, i have it set to 100 characters, and it does just that, cuts off after 100 CHARACTERS.*** Not words.

#7 Jenny

Jenny

Owned by PageLines

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2917 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Would you try setting that to "fullexcerpt" instead and see if it gives you the desired result? I am assuming that the 100 characters includes the title but I'm not really sure. Perhaps @rangleone has a little more insight on this plugin. (I really need to start using it!)

#8 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

I tried full excerpt but that doesn't seem to be working. I think I have to use a different css descriptor?

#9 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

I also tried the CSS on the widget page in settings (settings > special recent posts)

#10 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

I think you will have to use a different CSS selector. Have you tried this selector?: p.srp-widget-excerpt (I know you tried .srp-widget-excerpt already but p.srp-widget-excerpt might make a difference)

#11 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

That one doesn't work either. I've been trying every descriptor possible, lol.

#12 Jenny

Jenny

Owned by PageLines

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2917 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

I assume you have not set the other option to choose the number of characters? That will override other settings. Have you contacted the plugin author?

#13 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

I tried all of the excerpt settings. The excerpt settings work. Now, I need to make the excerpt wrap within my defined div of 200px. I will continue to work on this and share what I find. Thanks!

#14 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Can you post the shortcode here that you created for SRP? I'll try to tweak it.

#15 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

I use the Boxer plugin to make my boxes, but here's the code I use from SRP. I just tested it and it wrapped just fine with no customization except the Boxer settings. It's possible our boxes have a limitation that Boxer overrides.
My SRP code:

Note: I use my SRP on a category basis. I don't use the offset option.

is the link to the Boxer plugin.

#16 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

Here is my shortcode:

[srp srp_number_post_option='1' srp_post_global_offset_option='2' srp_widget_title_hide_option='yes' srp_post_date_option='yes' srp_content_post_option='titleexcerpt' srp_filter_cat_option='8' srp_wdg_title_length_mode='fulltitle' srp_wdg_excerpt_length_mode='fullexcerpt' srp_thumbnail_option='yes' srp_thumbnail_wdg_width='200' srp_thumbnail_wdg_height='200']

I will tryout the boxer plugin. Thanks!

#17 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

i am completely clueless as to how to use boxer. i set the settings and they're not working and i can't visit the plugin link, it no longer works

#18 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

Do you just put the shortcode? Boxer isnt doing anything to help resolve this issue.

#19 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

It's still cutting off the excerpt and it's not adjusting to the layout I'm choosing for it with the Boxer plugin. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

#20 emckenna730

emckenna730

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

... any suggestions?