Page-Specific Sidebars / Widgets

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 millerwhite

millerwhite

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

I've done some searching to see if a solution to this has already been found, but I'm not coming up with much. I apologize if something similar has been resolved already. Also, this could be something I'm simply over-thinking, and there could be an easier way to go about it than I have in mind. Any and all suggestions are welcome! :)

So here's the situation we're running into. We have a client who is wanting to essentially eliminate drop downs from their main menu, but they still want "main" pages there, and then when the viewer clicks on the page, the sub menu for that main page would be in that page's sidebar.

So, for instance, let's say it's a page called "About Us", with 3 "sub" pages (Staff, Board, Contact). What I'm thinking I would need to do is the following (and this may not even be possible, I don't know):

- Create a new page template within the PL framework, to be able to drag and drop sections into (so, just like the Feature Page, Carousel Page, Box Page, etc.), and call it "About Us Page"

- Create a new "section" within the PL framework, and call it "About Us Sidebar", so I could drag it over to the "About Us" page template content area (or, drag each page-specific sidebar section over to the "SB1" template area, and hide them all by default, then check the "Show About Us Sidebar" in the PL Meta Settings for that page?) The question is then, when that section is created, would I still need to register the sidebar within the functions.php file, to get it to appear as a widget area?

- Create a custom menu called "About Us Submenu", and then drag a Custom Menu widget over to the About Us Sidebar widget area.

- Repeat the process for each main page.

Again, there may be a much simpler way to go about this, or this might not even be possible to do. I feel like it probably is, since you can do just about anything with this framework (which is why it's about the only method of designing WP sites that I use anymore!).

If the above process would in fact be the way to go, is there any PL-specific documentation for registering new page templates, sections, sidebars, etc.?

I do apologize??¦ I know this is a lot of requested information. I've just gotten to the point that I realize I'm not really getting anywhere searching on my own. The support staff and community has been so great here, that it's obviously the next logical place to turn.

Thanks again in advance for all the help. It's greatly appreciated by PL users!

#2 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

Have you looked in to using Widget Logic?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 millerwhite

millerwhite

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hmm... I hadn't looked into that. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere a few times. I'll definitely try that out. If that works, it would certainly fall under the "much simpler way to go about it" umbrella mentioned above. :) Thanks again! (*Edit: Yep, that seems like it's going to work just great for this situation. Thanks so much!)

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Use Wordpress' Links Categories (Dashboard > Links > Links Categories to create a category for each main section in the primary menu. About would be both a menu item AND a link category. Inside the About link category, you add links to the various pages or posts inside the category. Using Widget Logic, you simply apply the link category under the About page and on its child pages. Repeat for each different menu subject and their child pages, so that only related child pages appear. Time consuming, but do-able.