Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

getting rid of the space below the branding and above the navigation

Question

Posted · Report post

I am new here and having a VERY hard time figuring out how to customize with PageLines. I am beginning to think that I need to be a developer to get anything close to professional results. I hope not. Can you please help me get rid of the space below the branding and above the navigation bar? Also, how do I keep the navigation bar from extending to a second line if there is still room in the first? I would like all of top menu selections on one line, not two. Thank you for any help you can give.

13 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Please send a link to your site :)

Posted · Report post

Sorry...it is www.wicklessscentsation.com

Posted · Report post

Using FireFox with FireBug installed I believe this is the code that is causing some of the gap: [code]#branding .content-pad { padding-bottom: 25px; padding-top: 25px; }[/code] To make changes to CSS be sure to log into WordPress Admin > PageLines > Settings > Custom Code

Posted · Report post

I did not add that code. So...how do I get rid of it? Do I go through my editor and look for it? If so, do I just delete it and not replace it?

Posted · Report post

I deleted the line in Editor and updated. It made no difference so I put it back. Is that line better there or gone? Other than this, I have not done any editing in the Worpress Editor since installing the Pagelines template. I have done everything in the Pageline CSS editor. I see other people have attempted to correct the same problem with code in the CSS editor. I searched the forum and I tried the code that they were given (from the forum) with no success.

Posted · Report post

I think it is better there. Without the line, it looks somewhat empty.

Posted · Report post

Can you think of any other ideas for fixing this space issue? I see others have created PageLines pages without this space above and below the branding but I am not experienced enough with coding to recognize how they did it using Firebug. It should be a simple space setting, right? It is frustrating to be stuck on something so conceivably simple. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted · Report post

Set the bottom padding to 0px and keep top, right, and left padding at 25px. Go to the admin panel and on the left side find Pagelines>Settings>Custom CSS. Put it above [code]body{}[/code] It'll look something like this: [code]#branding .content-pad { padding-bottom: 0px; padding-top: 25px; padding-right: 25px; padding-left: 25px; }[/code]

Posted · Report post

It is not recommended to remove any code using the Wordpress editor. If you wish to change CSS, you need to use either of the following options. Use the Base child theme - http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_Base_Theme Use the PageLines Customisation plug-in - http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_PageLines_Customize_Plugin Use the Settings > Custom Code > CSS Rules To reduce the space between the Branding and navigation simply add the below code to one of the methods above and then lower the number in the code: [code]#branding .content-pad { padding-top: 25px; /* <--- Lower the number below to reduce the space */ padding-bottom: 25px; /* <--- Lower the number below to reduce the space */ }[/code]

Posted · Report post

I tried doing exactly what you recommended. It makes sense to me that it would work. That is the setting that should fix the problem. It doesn't. Any ideas?

Posted · Report post

Have you already tried the CSS that was provided above?

Posted · Report post

yes, it did not work

Posted · Report post

This is what you need to add to Dashboard > PageLines > Settings > Custom Code in CSS Rules or, in style.css if you have PageLines Customization plugin activated: [code].fixed_width #branding .content-pad { padding: 25px 25px 2px; }[/code] It will handle removing some of the space between the bottom of your branding and top of the menu. Below, you'll find the code (add to the same place) that will further reduce the gap by reducing the top of the navigation menu: [code]#nav .content-pad, #secondnav .content-pad { padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 2px; }[/code]