Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Add newsletter signup by social media icons

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi there, Is there any way to get the sign up for our newsletter option directly below the social media icons?? I tried the universal sidebar, but that moved the branding down too much. I was hoping to keep the branding section the same height and place. http://www.wellspringhumanenergy.com/

30 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

A hook in the branding area should let you include a graphic, just as I've added a leaderboard ad at http://www.epicurus.com This requires some code customization with a hook and small snippet of CSS. Let us know if you need help with this and if you feel comfortable doing this level of coding (it's actually not much).

Posted · Report post

I would like to give it a try with your help please.

Posted · Report post

Are you using PlatformPro + PlatformBase?

Posted · Report post

@create180design - what are you using for the 5 boxes below the feature graphic for Dr. Littleton? Just Boxes?

Posted · Report post

create180design is using boxes

Posted · Report post

I am using boxes for the 5 images. The transparent line with text is part of the image. I am using platform pro and platform Base.

Posted · Report post

You'll need to use a hook to add a newsletter sign-up below the icons. If you're not familiar with what hooks are for, please see this documentation: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/Hooks If you need any assistance with how to create a hook, please let us know. Is the newsletter sign-up generated using an HTML code?

Posted · Report post

Thanks Catrina. YES I really do need help. I have never set one up before and if you can talk me through it that will be great. I should then be fine for the any in the future. Yes, the newsletter signup in just html code added into a text widget.

Posted · Report post

Since you already know where you want your newsletter sign up to be, it's easy to figure out which hook you want to use (the hook determines where in the page layout your icons will be placed). In this case, the hook you should use is [b]pagelines_after_branding_wrap [/b]. The next piece of code you need is a descriptive name for the hook so that you can identify what the hook is for. We'll just use [b]newlsetter_signup[/b]. The entire hook code that you create goes into the functions.php file below where it says you need to add hooks (accessible via Appearance > Editor) in the PlatformBase theme. There's an example of a hook provided in this past topic where I helped someone implement a hook in their header area (they were trying to accomplish something different, but it's the same concept): www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/12248/replace-search-bar-in-header-with-an-image

Posted · Report post

OK. I have this so far for the hook. But it doesn't seem to work. In your other post you had some additional text, but I don't know what text is required for mine. [code]// add_action('hook_name','function name'); add_action('pagelines_after_branding_wrap', 'newlsetter_signup'); // function name function newlsetter_signup(){[/code]

Posted · Report post

Follow the guidance found here: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/17928/frustrated-need-to-finish-branding-section#Item_5 Just replace the div name with "signup" and replace everything in the spans with your actual newsletter sign up code.

Posted · Report post

OK. So i made the changes and still nothing happens..[code]// add_action('hook_name','function name'); add_action('pagelines_after_branding_wrap', 'newlsetter_signup'); // function name function newlsetter_signup(){ ?>

Posted · Report post

These two divs should not be divs, but should be applied as CSS to the signup div:[code]
[/code] They're not closed and neither is your form. You need a somewhere before

Posted · Report post

i removed the two divs and added just before the

Posted · Report post

Try moving the before the and see if that helps.

Posted · Report post

that did not work either :( Could it be that the brand logo is too wide? I did try it without the logo and that didn't make a difference.

Posted · Report post

You need to move at the end of this: [code]SIGN UP FOR OUR MONTHLY INFORMATIVE NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE DOWNLOAD OF XXXXX.[/code] Leave right after: [code][/code]

Posted · Report post

Actually, remove the empty span tags entirely. Both and do nothing. No point in having them there.

Posted · Report post

OK. I removed both span tags and had the form right after what Catrina said I should do. Nothing... Here's what I have for the code- I have this in the base theme stylesheet. [code]// add_action('hook_name','function name'); add_action('pagelines_after_branding_wrap', 'newlsetter_signup'); // function name function newlsetter_signup(){ ?>

Posted · Report post

Sorry!!! Just realized I had it in the wrong folder- So I just moved the code to the functions folder for Base Theme and now it works! How can I format it so that the copy is on the right and has a fixed width, say 275px wide? Also can I move it above the branding logo? I tried replacing _after_ to _before_ but that didn't work. Thank you for your patience with me!

Posted · Report post

Ah, okay, cool!

Posted · Report post

Any thoughts on the formatting mentioned above?

Posted · Report post

How do you want the formatting to be handled? Right now the text box and text are on the same line. Do you want to move the text box and do some other changes with text size, text color, etc.?

Posted · Report post

Ideally, I'd like the text box to be below the text. Text to be left aligned by the width of the text area to be only 275px and located on the right side above the logo of the page. I like the font and color the way it is right now.

Posted · Report post

Can you please post the sign-up form code as it is right now?